Connecting a NEST Thermostat to Potterton Condensing Boiler

If there are no wires already in the wall then you will need to either install some, or run a lead to a socket.

Boiler is in the loft so that would be a no-go for me as it means chasing walls and lifting up carpets!

Sponsored Links
Because at heart it remains something designed from the ground up to work with heating systems we don't use in this country.

In all seriousness, couldn't they design a UK one? Like every manufacturer sells their gear in the UK with a UK plug and not a US one. And most use 110-240v ranges in their gear rather than sticking to 110v and proving fugly transformers for the UK market.

My Honeywell CMT927 is battery powered and has been installed since October 2013 without needing new batteries yet...

where is your current thermostat? isn't it an option to just swap it out with the new one?

if not, can you be creative? use the white back panel and have it up against a door frame, then run the thin USB wire down the edge of the door frame?
just an idea...

Sponsored Links
In all seriousness, couldn't they design a UK one? Like every manufacturer sells their gear in the UK with a UK plug and not a US one. And most use 110-240v ranges in their gear rather than sticking to 110v and proving fugly transformers for the UK market.

The US uses 120v (+or - 5%) not 110v.

i'm a bit confused.
it works fine with (my) uk system.
one component wires in to my 230V system
the nest thermostat runs from 12V (or 5V)

In some areas of north America ( USA and Canada ) the electrical supply at the property boundary is nominally 120v with a tolerance and in other areas it can be nominally 110v with a tolerance.

In practise due to the way power is distributed over there the voltages are often far from the nominal. It is common to see 11kV along the street on poles and tin can transformers on the poles producing 1xx volts to individual properties.

ok-- an idea --
couldn't you but a 12V rechargeable (or non-rechargeable, or 5V) battery in a wall box behind the thermostat? ok you may have to cut a hole in the wall, and you may have to use the white panel behind the Nest to cover that over, but there would be no chasing (until you next decorate)

I expect you could, but I guess the power drain must be too great to feasibly run this controller off batteries, or I'm sure the manufacturers would build this into their unit.

In some areas of north America ( USA and Canada ) the electrical supply at the property boundary is nominally 120v with a tolerance and in other areas it can be nominally 110v with a tolerance.

In practise due to the way power is distributed over there the voltages are often far from the nominal. It is common to see 11kV along the street on poles and tin can transformers on the poles producing 1xx volts to individual properties.

From Wikipedia:

In the United States[6] and Canada,[7] national standards specify that the nominal voltage at the source should be 120 V and allow a range of 114 to 126 V (RMS) (−5% to +5%). Historically 110, 115 and 117 volts have been used at different times and places in North America. Mains power is sometimes spoken of as 110; however, 120 is the nominal voltage.

You didn't understand what nominal voltage meant just a couple of days ago.

Have you finally learnt this really basic principle?

You didn't understand what nominal voltage meant just a couple of days ago.

Have you finally learnt this really basic principle?

I've always understood it. But the so called nominal voltage as stated in the UK is a made up figure and not nominal at all. As has been stated many times the UK voltage has not changed. Surely you can understand this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back