Connecting a record player to a TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried connecting a record player (which has a pre-amp built in) to the audio inputs of two televisions we have. On one it works fine, but on the other it doesn't. Is there a reason for this as I'd like to be able to listen to my records through both TVs. I'd also like the reassurance that I'd still be able to do this when we upgrade them.
The only difference between the TVs which may have a bearing is that the one which works is a bit older and doesn't have a built in digital decoder (hence my need for reassurance that I'll still be able to do this when we replace it).

Sponsored Links
You haven't provided any information. It's possible that the audio is muted if there's no video input. Read your User Manual and see the specification for the audio input.

I've consulted the manual again and it makes no mention of connecting audio only devices. I've also looked through all the Setup menus but can't find anything relevant. When trying to play the record player the screen just displays a "no signal" message. I guess it requires a video input as well which seems a shame as well as unnecessary.

Sponsored Links
It's a Bush TV, model number BTVD31187S2. I'm not sure what the ECT is.

Hi everyone again

In looking at the manual again I saw that there is a technical helpline which I've now contacted. The chap at the other end was very helpful and said that it should work and could only suggest there was a fault either in the input (which there isn't as it works on the other TV) or that there is a fault in the TV itself. I guess the latter must be the explanation. It's not too serious as the sound quality is much better on the other TV so I'll just use that one.

Hi again

I've just done what I should have tried at the outset and given the TV some video input by connecting up my camera. It now works fine so I can listen to my records as long as I can work out some way of maintaining a video feed. Unfortunately the camera goes into standby mode after a minute or so!

Thank you everyone for your time and advice and I hope this may provide others with a means of listening to their vinyl collections without investing in unnecessary ancillary equipment.

This is quite a bizarre thread. I read a few segments out to my wife when she asked me why I was laughing. She gave me that "What's he on?" look.
I guess it requires a video input as well which seems a shame as well as unnecessary.
Why? It's a TV!

...with a means of listening to their vinyl collections without investing in unnecessary ancillary equipment.
lol... like a hi-fi perhaps.

I've often been tempted to ask what an ECT is on other forums, even though I know what it ought to be ("etc.") :)

I didn't learn Latin at school but surely everyone knows it's "et cetera"?
(Apparently not.)

:rolleyes:

I thought the outputs of a record player needed to be connected to a phono (not auxiliary or cd etc) input on the amp or whatever it was being connected to as its output level is much lower than other stuff like cd players/tape decks etc.

Depends on its specification and the specification of the amplifier (or TV in this case). Most record player decks have built-in RIAA equalisation and preamplifier, giving either 100mV or 1 volt from a 1k impedance output.

...Most record player decks have built-in RIAA equalisation and preamplifier,
Actually it's worth checking rather than taking it for granted.

I suppose it really depends where you shop for a turntable. If it's Argos then chances are it will. But Richersounds or a proper Hi-Fi shop then no. Second-hand Hi-Fi turntables of 10yr+ vintage rarely have phono pre-amps fitted. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back