Connecting cistern to pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that this is probably a really stupid question, but we all have to start somewhere!
I'm trying to connect the cistern to the pan of my new close coupled WC. It keeps leaking at the connections though. There are 2 rubber washer supplied for each bolt, one is flat and the other conical. The instructions supplied are only very small diagrams, and show no real detail. Which of the washers should sit in the cistern, and which under the pan ?
In addition, this being a cheapish B and Q job, there are no holes to connect the cistern to the wall. My dad thinks we should try to drill the porcelain and add our own attachments. What do you think ?

Thanks in advance
Cheryl

Sponsored Links
Hi

The conical washer goes inside the cistern ( cone side down ) with a hard washer above it. the flat washer goes under the pan with a hard washer between it and the nut. Would be a good idea to put a smear of sealant such as LSX between all the surfaces. Tighten the nuts evenly left and right and do not over tighten which could pull the conical washer into the hole and cause the leak.

Hope this helps

DON'T DRILL IT!!!!

Conical in cictern, flat part on a stainless steel supplied washer, cone shape into the hole.

assemble it so that it is snug with no pressure on it, connect water and test for leaks, one sure no leaks, push it back to wall but don't force it let the cistern sit naturally against the wall. Mark through holes in pan for fixings, remove again drill and plug or if wood, just pilot drill. Put it back again, this time fix to floor. Bead of silicone along top of cistern. Don't touch until morning. If it's your only loo hover for tonight.

snap i had same problem well i worked out where washes went fitted it all together and it leaked a bit silicone on all washers put it back together job done

Sponsored Links
the washers were crap and the plastic nut on the feed to cistern well it looked weak but my cloakroom set was cheap so cant complain too much

The cone shaped washers usually work very well. I've never had to use silicone on them yet, if I had to resort to silicone for that job I would be seriously worried about my ability.

Now wastes, it's common knowledge the manufacturers can't make a seal that works for toffee. Those we silicone in.

Otherwise th e purpose of silicone is to glue basins and cisterns to the wall, and a bead of it here and there to make things look right.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I appreciate it.
I'm happy enough now that I've got all the washers in the right order and place.

The problem I have now is with the doughnut. We're actually now on our 2nd cistern from B and Q, (long story!), but the fittings with this don't actually seem to match up with the original pan supplied, and the doughnut just doesn't appear the right size. The one we have is more like a large double rubber washer, and not at all like the nice plump ones I've seen elsewhere. Apart from seeming flimsy, it's too large for the rim it's supposed to fit on. I bought a standard replacement, but this is too small and falls through the hole!

I'll try B and Q again tomorrow, and see if they can actually sort some matching fittings. (Our boxed set has a date of 2005 on it, and I guess they've made some adjustments since, and they don't mix and match well between batches.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm fairly confident I could sort the job if only they could supply the right kit.
Cheryl

completenumpty said:
We're actually now on our 2nd cistern from B and Q, (long story!)
Cheryl

OH don't worry, we all have a story to tell about trying to make the rubbish sold in the sheds work. I'm sick to the eye teeth of toilets! Rest assured seasoned professionals have these same problems.

In Water Regulations training we are taught that each pan ans cictern are a match for each other you cannot change one without the other. It doesn't sound like yours are a match any longer, even if only with the doughnut. What you want is a complete swap with a complete unit of the same batch, tell them this is to satisfy the requirements of the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999.

Secondly once you have attempted to assemble with a doughnut it is useless for a second attempt.

Don't worry these problems beset us all, I am about ready to say, sorry I don't do toilets. Long ago I decided no more to do macerators. That's another story.

Please take this the right way, but nothing could please me more than for a person to diy their own loo. Saves us a really naff job. The fittings are vertually not of merchantable quality. Drop valves should never have been allowed past the borders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back