Connecting hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. A proper sparky will be doing this but so I can carry on with other work until he arrives I need to know the following.

Is it ok to make the hob connection underneath the unit providing it is not allowed to sit on the concrete floor. Access will be by removing the plinth.
There is no space at the back of the drawers to do it inside the unit.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
132.12 Accessibility of electrical equipment
Electrical equipment shall be arranged so as to afford as may be necessary:
(i) Sufficient space for the initial installation and later replacement of individual items of electrical equipment
(ii) accessibility for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair.

From your description it would not appear to comply?

Consider the situation where a control on the hob has jammed in the ON position and the hob is heating up out of control. How will you be able to turn off the power to the hob ? If it means removing the plinth then the hob could be a serious fire risk before you can isolate it.

Sponsored Links
Surely the hob will terminate on a proper connection point that is in or on the wall?

There is a cooker isolation switch in the wall above the worktop and the cable from this comes out the wall behind the hob unit.
The hob (Bosch) has about 1 metre of cable on it with brass crimped ends. (For a 13A plug?)
The hob unit has 3 drawers in it so no space to make the connection.
Does that mean the connection will have to be made inside an adjacent unit to comply with the regs?

Should be something like this
16686_P
on your wall for you to connect to.

This is what I have. ( sockets are not squint, just not screwed down yet)

View media item 40571
Cable from cooker switch comes out behind 3 drawer hob unit. Do I need to get what ericmark has shown and connect that inside the cupboard to the right?

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Sparky has been back and fixed the job properly. I was just trying to save a bit of time and carry on with what I was doing without causing him problems.
Thanks for the replies.

It had to go in the adjacent cupboard. The hob unit is a 3 drawer affair with no space behind so he put it below the drawer in the next unit so it is easily accessible as per the pic.

View media item 40745

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back