Connecting kitchen waste and drainpipe to new manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently having an extension but I'm doing a fair bit of the work myself as well.

Anyway one of the bits I'm doing is putting a new manhole in. I've replaced a clay run with plastic. This comes out of part of the extension at 90 degrees.

If you look at my picture, you can see the pipe coming out. This is the end of my drain run, so it runs downhill, under the extension and out the other side.

The pipe will be connected to a manhole, which I'm going to put in. The red blob I've put on the picture is roughly where the kitchen/utility 40mm waste is coming out. The wall the drain goes under will be 2 storey with a drainpipe coming down from the roof.

I need to plan how to connect the drainpipe and the kitchen/utility waste into this manhole (I have a shared soil and rain drain if you're wondering) that then runs back under the property. I can't quite get my head around the best way to do it in the space available and the components I need to buy? Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Jon

manhole plan.jpg

Sponsored Links
Get bits from Wickes reasonable price and 6 months to return. You can pull the seals off to dry run which used to be a lot easier on the Hunter stuff before they generalised to Marley seals.

Thanks for the replies.

I think it will need to be a 450mm wide chamber as the depth will be over 600mm. Also I think the chamber will need to have side entrances, as it will be difficult to make the pipework run into inlets which face away from the wall.

What I'm still not sure of is why there seems to be so many different options to achieve a similar thing and which situation you use them in.

So some people seem to have pipes sealed into the ground, whereas others seem to have them hanging over grates. (both for kitchen waste and drain pipes). Then there's Debris gullys, Grid bottle gullys, universal gully traps, hoppers, p traps, different type of inlet gullys etc.

Current thoughts are I'd want the kitchen waste to be sealed into a hopper and then the drain pipe flowing into a bottle gully. These are connected and flow into the inspection chamber. See the example below that I've circled in red.

idea.jpg

Still not sure whether this is a good way to do it, or whether the two things are better connected individually to the inspection chamber.

Also not sure whether to have the drainpipe over the grate or sealed in.

Thoughts very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just connect the sink waste to a pipe at floor level with a rubber waste seal, and take this to that drain and connect with a a branch?

No ugly pipes through walls, nor gully.

Hi Woody - that i
Why don't you just connect the sink waste to a pipe at floor level with a rubber waste seal, and take this to that drain and connect with a a branch?

Thanks Woody. That is an option but not sure I want to put the pipe hidden in the concrete floor (if that's what you meant?). The pipe will be coming out the wall at a very low level anyway.

Google Mascar Bowl ! that will get over the depth of invert problem - you'll need a bottle gulley for the rainwater and then have a stub stack for the kitchen waste. I hate wastes going into gullies:notworthy:

Hi Woody - that i

Thanks Woody. That is an option but not sure I want to put the pipe hidden in the concrete floor (if that's what you meant?). The pipe will be coming out the wall at a very low level anyway.

That's how it's done nowadays. It's not a problem.

In a modern new build kitchen there is no need for the waste to be discharging into a gulley and sloshing around stray bits of rice and food waste stinking up the place. Just take it straight into a sub stack as the others have suggested.

If I run my 40mm waste and my 68mm drainpipes straight into 110mm adaptors under floor level, do I still need traps under ground level or are they OK to run straight into my inspection chamber? What is the criteria to have traps under ground level versus running straight into the chamber?

Thanks

Building Control prefer smaller bore pipes to drop into a surface gulley and thence to the sewer (prevents any problems with the U bend contents being sucked out by low pressure on the main run) but if your local geography prevents that then as long as you've got maintenance access you'll be OK. If you do get any problems with stench coming back up the small bore pipes then air admittance valves will be your friends

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back