Connecting New Cooker Hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an old cooker extractor hood that was previously installed by a kitchen fitter. It packed up so I've got a new one.

The extractor is on the lighting circuit. After removing the old one, I found it was wired to an FCU (no switch) within the chimney cover of the hood.

The new extractor has a plug (I suspect from its flex that the old one did too and it got chopped off to wire to the FCU).

I see 2 options but not sure which is best:
1) Chop the plug off the new hood and connect to the FCU as the last one was.
2) Replace the FCU with a single socket behind the hood cover.

The first option involves chopping a molded socket off and the second option involves putting a socket on to a lighting circuit, albeit inaccessible.

Ideally it would be wired up to the kitchen socket circuit and have its own accessible switched FCU too but I'd rather avoid ripping up the whole kitchen for a cheap hood provided it is safe and not breaking regs (albeit not ideal).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Either option is perfectly fine and meets the regulations. Ignore anyone who pops up here and says you can't use a socket. He is wrong.

Why not use a socket that is correct for the lighting circuit? A 5a or 2a round pin one.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. While I do like the idea of the round pin socket, it is maybe overkill for what would be an inaccessible socket.

I'm leaning towards chopping the plug off and wiring to the FCU as per the previous one. Does it matter that the FCU is not switched?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back