Connecting oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so my built in oven has broken and it was connected by a plug into a socket. Why can’t I buy a oven that states hard wired and put a plug on it. Thinking about load if it’s 3kw plugged in what difference is that to a couple of 2kw oil rads plugged in ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
This seems to be an interesting "Rant"
"Why can’t I buy a oven that states hard wired and put a plug on it"

The maximum that one can draw from a UK plug with a 13 A fuse (on 230/240 V) is about 3100 W

The answer to "what difference is that to a couple of 2kw oil rads plugged in ?" is about 900 W.

(Of course, what is not stated here is that the questioner [RobTi] seems to be considering the maximum "draw" from a UK Ring circuit - of 32 A.)

Who knows?

Also, you could consider say, plugging two 2.5kW heaters into a double socket, seems reasonable? - Not a good idea, as double sockets are normally tested to 20A :)

Screenshot_20211125-114912_Chrome.jpg

There seems to me, to be a disconnect between the reality of electrical systems and 'common knowledge'.
The common terms are 13A plugs and sockets - why can't we plug in a 3kW load on every socket? ;)

Last edited:
Well, only just - 21A.

Anyway, if someone has been told that the maximum load you can plug into a ring circuit is 13A then it is reasonable for them to think that that is a limitation of the ring circuit, rather than simply the limitation imposed by the plug fuse.

After all - the characteristics of the UK socket ring circuit are identical to the UK standard cooker circuit.

I'm having flashbacks now - literally!
It reminds me of the rather 'shocking' experience I had PA Testing an AV cabinet.
The 'Installer' had connected the socket outlets in the cabinet to a hidden junction box.
Unknown to me, there were two cables and two plugs connected to this junction box to share the load.
I went to take the cover off one plug and... Zzap! :eek:

It reminds me of the rather 'shocking' experience I had PA Testing an AV cabinet.
The 'Installer' had connected the socket outlets in the cabinet to a hidden junction box.
Unknown to me, there were two cables and two plugs connected to this junction box to share the load.
I've got the t-shirts too...

I used to find it really common on building site 110V kit and more than one occasion had complaints that there was something wrong with transformer when they tried to plug into different phases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back