Oven replacement - hard wired or not

jar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We need to replace an old Siemens built in single oven and have been told that the equivalent replacement needs to be hard wired.
The existing oven has a normal dual mains socket behind it, with 2 plugs. One plug is for the gas hob (ignition) and the other for the oven itself.
But this mains socket seems to be linked to a cooker type socket above the worktop. When I turn off the cooker socket the oven goes off.

Two questions really:
Can I use the normal mains socket and put a standard plug on the new oven if the connection goes via the larger cooker socket ?
If I can't use a normal plug, does the fact there is a cooker socket there simplify hard-wiring a new oven ? I wouldn't be doing this myself as I'm obviously not an electrician.

Thanks
J

Sponsored Links
Can I use the normal mains socket and put a standard plug on the new oven if the connection goes via the larger cooker socket ?
Not if it says it should be hard wired - it will be too big for the plug.

If I can't use a normal plug, does the fact there is a cooker socket there simplify hard-wiring a new oven ?
It means it is possible.

Buy an oven that comes with a plug.

Depending on the size of wire from the consumer unit via the cooker switch to the socket you may be able to replace the double socket with either a single socket and outlet plate or another cooker switch with a socket outlet on it. It depends also on how deep the back box is too, it may need a deeper one.
It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the double socket has replaced a cooker outlet.
Do you know any electricians that can take a look?

Hi Guys
Thanks for your replies.
I don't know any electricians personally so I would need to phone around.
I will also check if there is a semi-equivalent oven with a lower power rating which might use a standard plug.
Thanks
J

Sponsored Links
What is the rating of the oven you have been told needs to be hard wired?

The specs say total connected load of 2.9 KW - it's a Neff B14M42W3GB

The old oven is a Siemens HB12320GB and they told me this has a total connected load of 2.5kw

Thanks for checking this. I might just see what options there are for a 2.5KW one since I think these can have a plug attached. Think it's 2.9 or above which need to be hard-wired. Since our old one is 2.5 then it shouldn't be a big deal. Only reason I was looking at the Neff was because this was the (white) one which Siemens said was the closest newer equivalent.
Thanks

I might just see what options there are for a 2.5KW one since I think these can have a plug attached.
I think you'll find that a high proportion of standalone single ovens which are designed for the UK market (and a good few which aren't) are designed to be usable with a 13A supply (i.e. a UK plug) and, indeed, many come with a UK plug fitted. However, those made for (maybe in) mainland Europe are likely to be connected to 16A circuits (allowing up to about 3.68 kW), so there is little incentive for them to think about the UK 13A plug!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back