electric oven and hob plug- hard wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need some advice with the installation of my electric oven and hob. The oven is a New World NW60F and needs 1925 w, and the hob is an Ariston system 2000 which draws 7000w. I am thinking of use a plug and socket for the oven and I assume the hob needs to be hard wired. The image shows what I have in the space at present, plus there is a cooker switch on top pf the counter. Can I use the socket on the left for the oven (adding a plug to the existing oven cable) and hard wire the hob next to it? There aren’t any other socket apart from one on top of the counter quite far.

Also, what kind of plug would I need for the oven cable, it is very thick.

Thank you View media item 53403

Sponsored Links
Is the socket on the same circuit as the cooker outlet?
I.e. does the cooker switch control it?

What is the rating of the fuse/mcb for the cooker circuit?

Yes you can put a plug on it.

Will that socket be accessible though once things are installed? If not then you can't use it - you need an accessible way to isolate the appliance.

Cable looks far too big - 4mm²? You'll never get that in a plug.

Is this a second-hand oven? Unless the instructions say you must have it on a 13A fused supply, with a cable that size you could connect it to a cooker supply, and I'm wondering if that's how it was connected before.

If you want to put a plug on it you'll need to replace the cable - 1.25mm² or 1.5mm² will be fine.

On top of the counter there are actually two switches. One is marked 'ignition' and control the socket on the left. The other one is marked 'cooker' and doesn't seems to control anything although it lights up when on...

What is the rating of the fuse/mcb for the cooker circuit?[/quote]

not sure how to find that out.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can put a plug on it.

Will that socket be accessible though once things are installed? If not then you can't use it - you need an accessible way to isolate the appliance.

Yes as it is controlled by the 'ignition' switch

Cable looks far too big - 4mm²? You'll never get that in a plug.

Is this a second-hand oven? Unless the instructions say you must have it on a 13A fused supply, with a cable that size you could connect it to a cooker supply, and I'm wondering if that's how it was connected before.

It is my old oven and previously it was connected to the cooker supply in another flat, but I had two points...now I only have one, and I'd like to use it for the hob which must be hard wired.

If you want to put a plug on it you'll need to replace the cable - 1.25mm² or 1.5mm² will be fine.

On top of the counter there are actually two switches. One is marked 'ignition' and control the socket on the left. The other one is marked 'cooker' and doesn't seems to control anything although it lights up when on...

This is likely turning the feed to the cooker connection unit on the right of your picture, I would leave that switch off when you've got cover off

As for the fuse rating, if you look at your fuseboard / consumer unit there should be a circuit labelled 'cooker' or similar, it will have a number on it (amp rating), for example, lights will be 5a (if fuses) or B6 (if MCB's), finding this first might make it easier for you to then find the corresponding number on your cooker circuit

This is what I found: Cooker: Mcb 40, Type B, Cable size 10, Cpc size 4
Kitchen sockets: Mcb 32, Type B, Cable zize 2.5, cpc size 1.5.

As for the fuse rating, if you look at your fuseboard / consumer unit there should be a circuit labelled 'cooker' or similar, it will have a number on it (amp rating), for example, lights will be 5a (if fuses) or B6 (if MCB's), finding this first might make it easier for you to then find the corresponding number on your cooker circuit[/quote]

I would connect both the oven and the hob to the outlet plate.

Dual outlet plates are available if you cannot get all the wires in the present one.

I would connect both the oven and the hob to the outlet plate.

Dual outlet plates are available if you cannot get all the wires in the present one.
the outlet plate is the one on the right in the image, m I correct?

That's it.

The 45A is just maximum current it can carry
so anything over your 40A mcb will do.

Seems quite straightforward, I'll have a go and keep you posted!
Thank you all!
Cristina

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back