Connecting PC to Television Monitor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My LCD TV does not have a VGA connection. Would it be possible (and not loose any picture resolution) to connect my PC to the TV with this?

Thanks!

computer-pc-vga-card-to-s-video-y-pb-pr-tv-display-adapter-cable~6498194.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi, I don't know what that is, is that the black circle with all the little holes in it? If so, yes. It does have a hdmi connection too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks that looks great! Although, I've already purchased a 'HDMI HDTV to VGA HD15 Y/Pb/Pr 3 RCA Adapter Cable' off ebay...

007-1.jpg

I thought it might work better through the hdmi connection, for £5.99 I will try this one out first, but would that other more expensive cable produce better results?

you will still be downscaling so in answer to the original question, it has to be no.

It really depends on what you will be doing, fine text may look muddy but some graphics you may get away with, but do expect a reduction in picture quality.

Thanks Tim,

After a bit of research I now realise there is not -yet- a lcd/plasma screen that can match a PC monitor for picture resolution.

The usage is mainly for playing music etc. as I have a remote control for the built in Media Centre (which i have never used). Watching dvd's with the internal blu-ray drive , with the occasional internet surfing.

I will be using another PC for all other mundane tasks

Cheers

Thanks Tim,

After a bit of research I now realise there is not -yet- a lcd/plasma screen that can match a PC monitor for picture resolution.

WHAT?!!

So whats wrong with all the 1920x1080p LCD TVs that have flooded the market from £400?

Does your PC monitor do that high resolution?

Thanks Tim,

WHAT?!!

So whats wrong with all the 1920x1080p LCD TVs that have flooded the market from £400?

Does your PC monitor do that high resolution?

1920x1080 sounds about average for a modern monitor. I had a 19 inch CRT once that I think could do more than 1080 vertically, and that was pretty old.

Regarding the OP: Only if the LCD TV is 1080 high definition - ie it has 1080 actual physical horizontal lines. ('HD' TVs with only 720 lines will still accept 1080i/p signals, but downscale and blur them.)

If it has that, you'll get a screen resolution comparable to smaller laptops.

You will need to use the HDMI connection.

If the TV only has 720 lines you'll probably find the resolution too low for most purposes, though fine for watching movies and maybe playing games.

The problem in the OP was the choice of cable not monitor

Does your graphics card have DVI out ? DVI - HDMI cables are dirt cheap and will guarantee you the best quality. I currently use one to connect my media center to my LCD.

To be honest if your graphics card doesn't have DVI out then you'd be best off upgrading that too.

HTH

My lcd television can accept signals of 1080 so by the sounds of it hdmi is the best (and only!) way to go.

My graphics card does not have a dvi out connection, but I know the one you mean. The only problem I have is that there are not spare slots left on my pc and the current VGA connection is part of the pc itself (not a removable card).

Would it really make such a difference upgrading the graphics card?

Cheers

yes it would, most on-board graphics cards are only basic bits of kit really, and alot use the PC proccessor/RAM for its power, a seperate card will have its own on-board processor and RAM and likly lots more of it.

there is usually a PCI-E or AGP slot as well as the usual PCI slots

Thanks! Just so happens I happen to already have a used 128MB ATI Radeon X1300 card...

Would this do the trick?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Back