Connecting risco bellbox to galaxy 18 - help?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently invested in a new bellbox - a Risco (Nova 6 if think)and I need to connect it to a Galaxy 18 (which will be upgraded next!). However, I just wanted someone to look at the connections I have in mind...;

BELLBOX PANEL

0v.............Aux 0v

12v............Aux 12v

S-.............Output programmed as bell trigger

TMPR...........Control panel tamper loop (although not sure how this one works, the panel has a double terminal for tamper loop)

STR-...........Output programmed as strobe

TMPF...........Aux 0v

If anyone can point me in a better direction than the above, please do!
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Galaxy 18 pin outs are as follows

on main board right hand corner

R101
terminal 1 = bell trigger
terminal 2 = strobe trigger
middle of terminal 2 negative feed from 0v

side of right hand or PCB
top 1 = speaker terminal
top 2 = speaker terminal
top 3 = 0v hold off
top 4 = tamper return
pick up a 12 v from the aux terminals on the power supply PCB

Oasis

if the panel is default, it will be set for negative hold off to bell
set at 20 min bell time
continuous strobe after bell time out (depending on software revision)

Thanks for the guidance!
When you say top 3 = 0v hold off...are you referring to the top part of the tamper 'loop'? In the manual, it shows a dotted line, representing what appears to be a loop...never come across this before, the only other galaxy I've seen is a 2-20 and that doesn't have the same set up!

yep its a loop with a T below it,
the T is the tamper return, the other is the - hold off.

Galaxy 18 were a range of the industry standard Galaxy panels, and most were all wired the same

the G2 12/20/44 are the new generation
as are the G3 and GD (dimension)

the G2 uses a slightly different programming protocol from the Galaxy range
but the G3 and GD (dimension) use the standard (well to us its standard) protocol.

hope the info helps

by the way what are you going to change you panel to?
(just curious, its an engineer thing, we are a nosy bunch really!!!)

Oasis

Sponsored Links
Yes, that info helps a lot, thank you! I'd never have guessed that the top part of the loop was 0v! Saying that, I do like the Galaxy panels, I can get my head round a lot of their features - just enough for a curious hobby, I do like to play around with systems and components - and almost had the incline to set up in business but in the end, thought I'd keep as a hobby!

To be honest, I'm not sure I want to change the panel now! I've heard that it's an extremely stable panel, worth it's weight in gold! If I was to change, maybe a modern Galaxy system, although I'm open to suggestions (for an enthusiastic d.i.y'er installer!)....

Thanks again for the info, I'll get this bellbox up and running now the weather seems to have turned milder (for a day or two at least), not sure about the dip switches on it that control tone and l.e.d sequences though, I'll have to have a play....hee hee...

If your Galaxy does what you need, why change for the sake of it?

It's a good panel.

Money & time to burn?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

europlex.
how very true!!
we have loads of them out there and they still all working very well!

as Europlex says, if it ain't broke, don`t fix it!!

Oasis

Point taken guys! Will stick with the G18 classic!
Many thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

I did originally ask on another site too - hope this doesn't offend anyone, I wasn't sure if anyone would reply to my postings to be honest, the last time I had a problem, no one replied!
I'm still very grateful for everyone's advice on this posting and again, I really hope the 'double posting' hasn't offended..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back