Connecting Shower circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope one (or more) of you guys can give me some advice.

I am installing an electric shower and have so far installed the shower unit and run 10mm cable to the CU location. I have the manufacturers recommended RCD, but this is where I need some advice.

The CU and RCD are made by Proteuss, the former being reasonably old. If I were to fit the RCD into the CU, the buzz bar will interfere with the line side neutral connection. What would be the safest method on installation? If an electrician is required (to install a Henly block, if required), and given that the CU is wall mounted with unrestricted access, how much work is generally involved? I realise that you can't give me an idea of the labour costs involved.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
You cannot install the RCD into the CU, except possibly as a replacement for the main incomer, but this may not be a good idea.

If the RCD is to be used just for the shower circuit then it can go into a separate enclosure next to the CU, with the incoming cable coming from the CU.

Which leads onto the next topic - you haven't mentioned the MCB. Is it going to be in the CU, or is that also going to be external to it, in which case the supply will need to be isolated, and the tails split using a henley block, and a mini-CU fitted with the RCD and MCB in it.

The other problem that you will have is that you've already done some of the work - installing the shower and running the cable. All of this work is notifiable, and any electrician that you get is going to have to accept responsibility for all of it. Please don't be surprised if you cannot find anybody who is prepared to do that.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, to clarify, the MCB is indeed located in the CU. I was aware of the notification required, but wanted to have everything in place in order to save on cost. I was intending to get an electrician to do a periodic inspection of the property and at the same time connect the shower circuit. Your point about finding an electician to validate the installation is a good one. As the wiring is highly accessible, I am hoping I will not have too much trouble in this instance, but thanks for the comment.

One last question if I may, when connecting the CU to the RCD (in it's enclosure), would the same (10mm) cable be suitable?

Bald Rick said:
I was aware of the notification required, but wanted to have everything in place in order to save on cost.
Not sure what you mean. Whether you notify is up to you, but if you do, there is nothing you can do to to reduce the cost - LABC fees are fixed.

I was intending to get an electrician to do a periodic inspection of the property and at the same time connect the shower circuit.
If you think that will meet the requirements of the LABC in conjunction with notification you will almost certainly be sadly disappointed.

One last question if I may, when connecting the CU to the RCD (in it's enclosure), would the same (10mm) cable be suitable?
Yup.

Sponsored Links
Use some old cable and say it's been there for ages.

Edit. Would you like some ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back