Connecting speedfit to old polypropylene pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to make a connection into old 1990's grey polypropylene 22mm pipe to add a new radiator to the circuit.

I generally use JG speedfit. Is it possible to use this and would I need to use a pipe insert in the old pipe

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the fitting “let go” of the polypropylene and caused damage you woul probably be on your own as far as warranty is concerned, most push fit fittings are only covered if used as a system or onto copper.

Good practice when connecting one plastic manufacturer to another is to use a compression fitting with the appropriate insert, however I would be extra cautious connecting onto polypropylene.

Most plastic pipes on CH systems are either Polybutylene or PEX (cross polyethylene) some “harder” plastics can become brittle with age.

Last edited:
If the fitting “let go” of the polypropylene and caused damage you woul probably be on your own as far as warranty is concerned, most push fit fittings are only covered if used as a system or onto copper.

Good practice when connecting one plastic manufacturer to another is to use a compression fitting with the appropriate insert, however I would be extra cautious connecting onto polypropylene.

Most plastic pipes on CH systems are either Polybutylene or PEX (cross polyethylene) some “harder” plastics can become brittle with age.
Most people are on their own when it comes to the warranty anyway even if they stick to one system, as it's very rarely pressure tested to the required level. Speedfit, for example, requires a minimum 10 bar test or 1.5× the working pressure, whichever is greatest, and Hep2o requires up to 18 bar

Sponsored Links
Most people are on their own when it comes to the warranty anyway even if they stick to one system, as it's very rarely pressure tested to the required level. Speedfit, for example, requires a minimum 10 bar test or 1.5× the working pressure, whichever is greatest, and Hep2o requires up to 18 bar
With Hep2o the 18bar test only applies if very old or “Slimline” fittings are incorporated in the system, this is because they are “O” ring first, grab ring second. Current generation of fittings are grab ring first “O” ring second so require an initial low pressure test (0.5 - 1 bar) followed by a further test of 1.5 times the working pressure.

I’d still be concerned about connecting to polypropylene pipe though.

Thanks all.

I'd replace it if I could but it runs under a tiled floor so no choice but to make the connection. I'll use hep insert as suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back