Poly pipe compatibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Strange one this, but because it appears no 2 grahams carry the same product range, i have ended up with polyfit pipe and JG speedfit inserts, can i use the inserts with the pipework, or have i wasted some money?

And if so does anyone want to purchase a bag of 15mm and 22mm pipe reinforcers for JG Speedfit.

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Polyfit?? If you meant polypipe then the speedfit inserts will actually go in, seen it done aplenty, but they're designed for the slightly bigger i.d. speedfit pex pipe.
Advice has to be not to use them, but I'd be tempted!

If they fit then i can try, i honestly prefer the inserts with the Hep20 system, but local grahams doesn't hold decent stocks of Hep.

I`ll try the inserts, they can only leak can't they. :LOL:

they can only leak can't they
No, they could come apart completely. At least if there were no inserts and the joint were subjected to high pressure and/or temperature they might well come apart. A loose insert might be as useful as no insert.

Sponsored Links
I feel the first rumblings of an incompatibility disaster!

There have been at least THREE different designs for Speedfit inserts alone. An insert that's too slack inside a PEX pipe will presumably not hold the pipe firmly against the grab-ring teeth, with unfortunate results. And also I assume that inserts with integral O rings (eg. Speedfit) must be neccessary to make a Speedfit fitting watertight (otherwise, why put them on?).

I'm standardised on one type (Hep2O) NOT because it's necessarily better or cheaper than anything else. Only because if I get a problem, I've DEFINITELY not mixed-and-matched by accident and will have only one supplier to scream at!

It is only the inserts which are incorrect, the ones i have are the speedfits with the 2 O rings on, and if they are a snug fit, then they will provide the reinforcement required.

I am using polypipe pipe, and polypipe joints, so in effect it will be at worse the same as connecting up with no pipe insert.

I`ll have a go with a joint, and see how it hold up, although i am seriously considering consigning the lot to the shed and going out and buying all Hep20 bits.

not a bad idea

never take chances with push fit, the results can be alarming.

A loose insert might be as useful as no insert.
No no no no no you're all wrong - they'd be tight not loose!!

Polybutylene (Polypipe, hep) is thicker than PEX(speedfit)! :rolleyes:
Probably impossible to get in at all if they're the O ringed ones, which obviously you shouldn't force. The correct inserts can be quite sloppy. A bunch of installers I used to watch only ever used the "wrong" ones because they thought the metal PB inserts were too loose. They must have done 50 ch systems with them while I was in touch.

If they slide in easily I wouldn't expect a problem, but if in doubt, don't.

You're right ChrisR, PEX inserts in PB tube would tend to be too tight. My comment would only be relevant for the opposite situation. I can't see why too tight should ever be a problem, but the manufacturers may know something we don't!

Just for the record I recently used an old style Hep2o fitting on a 16mm tube - all I had to do was file out the retaining nut, the other elements squeezed on without modification and it hasn't leaked yet (only subject to cold water though). So extra squashing of the O ring and grab ring doesn't seem to compromise their function, at least on old style Hep2o.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back