Connecting tap tails to isolation valve

Well we've water again waste pipes fitted back and no leaking.

Just the cold flexi pipe which worries me

I might call a plumber out to fit Copper tap tails for please of mind as I'm worried about coming downstairs in the morning to a flooded kitchen.

IMG-20191027-WA0029.jpeg
IMG-20191027-WA0027.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You could always use bent ballofix valves to send the flexis away from the pipe... They don't need to be full bore for a sink!

Full bore is used on gravity ,not mains,and your flexi hoses will restrict the flow anyway. The screwfix one is not suitable ,it has a female end. The other one in second link is OK ,but I would use a tap tail adaptor into its compression end ,rather than connect the flexible hose to it directly.

Sponsored Links
Full bore is used on gravity ,not mains,and your flexi hoses will restrict the flow anyway. The screwfix one is not suitable ,it has a female end. The other one in second link is OK ,but I would use a tap tail adaptor into its compression end ,rather than connect the flexible hose to it directly.
Thanks for the help.

Why would you use a tap tail adapter rather than just screwing it direct? Just wondering? Is it more secure?

Its a compression fitting ,olive and nut. Intended for a pipe to be inserted into it. The inner face is tapered to accommodate the olive and the edge ,which your flexi hoses rubber washer will contact ,is fairly sharp. The tap tail adaptor has a flat face ,so your rubber washer sits on a flat surface. Some people just file the isolators sharp edge to a flat surface. Why bother when for a couple of quid you can buy the correct thing .

Went into 2 plumbers shops today and they kept asking why I needed the tap connectors  just connect the flexi up to the angled valve, just tighten it 1/4 at a time just give me the bloody adapters.... :mad:

Managed to get them in the end had to go screwfix

Went into 2 plumbers shops today and they kept asking why I needed the tap connectors  just connect the flexi up to the angled valve, just tighten it 1/4 at a time just give me the bloody adapters.... :mad:

Managed to get them in the end had to go screwfix

Most of my plumber mates do the same... But they haven't had a flexi failure in their own home... I have! :eek:

Just waiting on some tap tails then I'll make the changes,next problem will be changing the old sink hoping it comes out okay as I don't fancy damaging the work surfaces

Ps... You can also use 1/2" rad valve tails... I've always got dozens of them on the van ;)

Yes, spare 15mm rad valve tails are handy for that job and also look neat if chromed you match chromed isolating valves.
But something to think about is the rad tails are not BS approved for potable water. The brass could have a high lead content.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back