Connecting to main sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our septic tank is beyond repair and we have the option to connect to a main sewer, or so we thought.

The nearest manhole in the road at the end of the drive is 4m deep, invert level from the house around 2.5m. There are two neighbours connected in via two external backdrops, both of which are uphill from me so no option to intercept their drains. The manhole is made up of pre-formed c.1.8m concrete rings, more than likely backfilled with concrete

The water authority have ruled out an internal backdrop, I have had 3 firms out, and so far I don't have any quotes....

Does anyone have any ideas on connection options? I'll be calling the water authority to discuss and it may help with a proposal in hand. I'll then try some more groundworks contractors, although very few seem to have the right 'tickets' for streetworks and water authority work.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As far as I can gather all connections to street sewers need to be made at similar levels.

Consequently any backdrops need to be on the private land.

I dont see what the difficulties are apart from finding a suitable contractor and usually they would be the same ones used by the drainage authority.

Tony

Thanks for the response Agile, the backdrops are on the outside of the main sewer manhole. The difficulty seems to be if a completely new backdrop has to be installed it will require a 4m dig through concrete.

I've asked about an internal backdrop so we only have to join at around 2m, but this doesn't seem to be allowable.

Thks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back