connecting to old osma soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a special fitting required for connecting to old osma soil pipe? I have heard its a slightly different size? It would need to have a male end.

Sponsored Links
I've not heard that myself, you could always use a rubber connector if the sizes are different, something like a DC115.

It looks like grey plastic coming up through the floor. Then some connector that I have never seen before that looks to have been too big for a pan connector so has been bodged with plumbers mate. I was going to remove the pan connector and the other white connector and fit a pan connector straight on to the soil. the connector from the soil to the pan connector does say osma on it. Any one seen a connector like that before? What is its purpose

Sponsored Links
It's another pan connector.
It would have taken an S-trap toilet at one point, which was then replaced with a P-trap toilet, hence the need for the second pan connector.

Potentially not changed at the time as it's likely to be solved welded to the soil pipe beneath.

Thanks so impossible to get out really, if I spit the pipe below I'd be buggers. The pan connector for the s trap toilet is too large to fit a normal pan connect hence it is bodged with plumbers mate. I need to change the top bent pan connector as its leaking. So need a way of possibly sealing to the s trap pan connector if I can't get it out of the pipe.

The top pan connector should seal into the outlet of the bottom pan connector ok, I'd think you could replace the top one without too much issue. Those wide socket type pan connectors had a rubber collar that fitted into, and over the shoulder to accept the outlet of the S trap pan. Pan outlet would have been a bit wider diameter than the pan connector.

Parents had similar on their downstairs WC, replaced that without issue, using a 90 pan connector. The Plumbers Mait is probably more for cosmetic purposes, although will help by providing an additional seal.

Time to get it all out. Clear that mate away and remove the bent pan connector and then small straight if its seals gone and then see what you've got left. That'll dictate what's needed.

Thanks. Just hoping the bottom one isn't solvent welded to the soil pipe.

Because you can see the grey of the soil pipe just out the floor, the connector does go inside, with fins. Sometimes I don't know what I've seen but in this instance I'm 99.9 % sure:whistle:...... But I'm not sure about Plumber's mait being cosmetic, Hugh:unsure:

Because you can see the grey of the soil pipe just out the floor, the connector does go inside, with fins. Sometimes I don't know what I've seen but in this instance I'm 99.9 % sure:whistle:...... But I'm not sure about Plumber's mait being cosmetic, Hugh:unsure:
I hope your right

Depends I suppose how short they've cut the tail of that pan connector, but until you take it out, you wont know....

When I replaced the parents downstairs WC, the original was a S trap pan, going into a similar fitting, with the large rubber gasket making the seal. Replaced with a H.O. pan, pan connector fitted nicely into the outlet of the white collar, filled the gap left around it with Plumbers Mait to tidy it up. :D

Make sure you sling a couple of buckets of hot water with bleach/detergent down it and then a few flushes before taking it all apart... you'll thank me for it :D

Thanks I am hoping to get both connectors out and put a normal bent pan connector straight in the the grey soil pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back