Osma pipe query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from another thread I started about replacing some external waste... what I thought would be an easy job, isn't.

Basically I need to replace some waste pipework coming from the kitchen sink to the soil stack, due to leaks. It's never been fitted right in the first place, as it's 'sprung' into place (push fit) and often pops off at the 90 degree bend. I intend to change from the 90 degree bend all the way to the pipe where it enters the soil stack on the left.

The problem I've found is that the existing pipes are all old Osma, stamped up as 40mm/1 1/2 inch BS5255, however as I've found today, these are not compatible with todays 40mm pushfit fittings!! I've found the post below (3rd comment down that may clarify things if it's true)

http://www.askthetrades.co.uk/cgi-bin/y ... 1092334442

Basically, the old Osma pipe is 43mm, so where it exits the wall, I can't fit a new 40mm push fit connector as it's too small, and of course the hole in the boss on the soil stack is too big for todays 40mm pushfit pipe. I'm a bit stuck really.

2 things:

1. How can it all be better designed so as not to be so springy? The problem is that the boss on the soil stack is in a fixed position and so is the pipe where it exits the wall. Could a flexible pipe be used at all? Are they any good for outdoor use? The suggestion by Nige F in the other thread of a Flo plast WC23 adjustable bend is no good as it doesn't allow the flexibility needed.

2. Most importantly, what is compatible with the existing pipework and boss in the soil stack? Can you still get the old osma stuff? Or can I use the existing pipework with new 40mm compression fittings?

Attachments

• DSC_21633.jpg
    DSC_21633.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_21663.jpg
    DSC_21663.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
solvent weld may fit, but it must be upvc not abs if run outside. Toolsstations solvent is upvc.

also look at universal compression fittings if you need to adapt from one size to another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back