Connecting to soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, some more advice needed please.

I am re-doing my downstairs toilet and would like a bit of advice regarding connecting the sink waste to the soil pipe. Originally the waste pipe from the sink was running along the wall and was connected to the soil pipe at about waist height which was then boxed in. However, because the waste pipe was against the wall it was a little unsightly so I now want to bury it in the wall vertically untill below the floor and then run under the floor and tee into the soil pipe.

Can anyone tell me what the soil pipe is made of (picture attached). It is black and has a sort of orange peel effect on it's surface. It's not metal or plastic and was put in when the house was built in 1964.

Then, how would I connect the 40mm waste pipe to it and what would I cut the hole with. Lastly what would be the best idea for blocking the previous sink connection hole.

SoilPipe.jpg

Thanks for any help

Russell

Sponsored Links
It looks like asbestos cement (can't say for sure), not pure asbestos. If so, it is only dangerous when you create dust. Where dust is likely to be generated (sawing, drilling) use a water spray to damp down any dust. Have a good vacuum of the area of work immediately afterwards too, and of course wear a mask.

Conection to it could be done through drilling a hole, using the correct size core and fit a 40mm bung, which will then take your waste connection.

As for disposal of any waste, in theory it should be treated as hazardous waste (loads a money £££), but it has been known for people to double wrap in plastic bags and dispose of in household waste, i am not condoning this though as it is wrong.

After using licensed asbestos waste removal experts i was surprised to find that all they did was to bag it up and it ended up at the local infill site :eek: Don't really know what I expected them to do, but not this :rolleyes: They told me that the latest 'brainwave' is to put it all indrums and sink it out to sea :LOL:

Thanks for the response Expertboy,

This 40mm Bung that you refer to, I can't find one in the Screwfix catalogue so I will presumably have to go to a plumbers merchants for one. So, just to be sure what I'm getting, I assume it is a circular wedge shaped rubber bung with a 40mm hole in the middle. Is this correct and do I just ask for a 40mm bung. There's nothing worse than going into a trade counter and not knowing the correct name for what you want.

Also, what holds the bung in place. Is there not a possibility that it could work it's way out over time. Can you get solid bungs for blocking up the existing hole?

Many thanks

Russell

Sponsored Links
I've never heard of anyone using a "bung" on a soil pipe, unless it's a form of payment. ;)

Better to use a strap on boss with a 40mm socket. You can use silicone sealant to make sure that the boss seals to the stack. Sockets come in both push-fit and solvent welded varieties.

Hi

Pitchfibre pipe?

New connection ,use strap boss. Hole saw (Starrett type. )to cut new hole .But not if asbestos!!

Rubber bung, as said, with access cap.Wipe some leak sealer over that old connection where it's been leaking in the past.

Thanet.

Thanks for the reply guy's,

On further inspection I am wondering if I would not be better off replacing the complete soil pipe.

At some stage in the near future we are going to refit the upstairs bathroom where the sink, bath & toilet all connect to this soil pipe and I am going to have the same problems then as well. here is a picture looking up from below at the bathroom connections.....

BathroomConnections.jpg

......and you can see a leak from the toilet connector on the right. The bath waste pipe is copper, the sink waste is an odd size soft plastic type of pipe and I am just thinking I would save myself a lot of trouble later on if I replace the whole lot.

Does anyone have any advice on this please. This is a picture of the bottom of the pipe......

SoilPipeBottom.jpg

....but I don't know how it is likely to be fixed at the bottom. Would this just be a push fit or cemented in. The pipe goes straight up from this bottom connector and exits through the roof with a vent at the top and the only connections to it are the downstairs basin and the sink, bath & toilet upstairs.

What do you guys think and is it the sort of thing a DIYer can tackle (or should tackle).

Many thanks

Russell

if its standard size you should be able to cut fairly close to the floor but leave enough space to get a fitting on, and then continue the rest in plastic, or up until where your going to be connecting to it.

so just cut a section out and put plastic in it's place. it would save a lot of messing around in the long run.

Thanks for replying wonderb0y,

The problem is it doesn't appear to be standard size. I've measured it to be about 125mm OD (just under 5 inch) so standard plastic fittings won't work.

Russell

You can get rubber couplers to suit the different sizes that are straight forward to use. They clamp to the pipe with hoze clips. The two ends are made to suit the two pipe sizes,and the clips clamp everything up to seal it.

TicklyT said:
You can get rubber couplers to suit the different sizes that are straight forward to use. They clamp to the pipe with hoze clips. The two ends are made to suit the two pipe sizes,and the clips clamp everything up to seal it.
They're called Fernco fittings, and they use Jubillee clips, not hose clips. :rolleyes:

Softus please enlighten me if you would, what is the difference between jubilee clips and hose clips?

Well and truly enlightened, thank you. I think most people though would consider the clips and the terminology interchangeable.

Yes, but I'm a professional pedent, and AFAIK Jubillee clips were originally a patentable, and patented, product.

If you ask for a Jubillee clip then you'll get the thing in the upper picture.

If you ask for a pipe clip you could get any old inferior sh*te.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back