Connecting to soil pipe

that`s deffo pitch fibre :mad: rip it out and use a fernco as Softus said and a plastic modern stack to replace ........the stuff is a nightmare above or below ground :evil:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, I feel happier now,

So what I will do is, cut the existing pipe about 6 inches above the ground, connect the Fernco coupling to the remaining pipe and then the plastic pipe onto the other end of the Fernco coupling and then continue up with plastic 110mm interlocking pipe & fittings.

Obviously, because it is a flexible coupling at the bottom it will not support the weight of the plastic pipe above so I will need to support the pipe somehow. Looking in the Screwfix catalogue they only seem to do the normal plastic pipe clips and they don't look like they are designed to support the weight but just to fix the pipe against the wall so what would be your recommendations for supporting the pipe.

Lastly, is there anything else I should know before tackling this to meet regulations and should I inform my local Building Control Department for this kind of work.

Many thanks

Russell

Edit: Don't worry about the pipe support issue, I've just found in the Marley catalogue type SC41 plastic coated metal clips to fit the ring seal sockets. Presumably this is what I need to support the pipe.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't seem very clear whether this kind of work needs reporting to the Building Control Department. The info I've found seems to say that any major changes to the soil stack needs to be reported but I don't know if the work I am undertaking constitutes a change. Does it mean changing the layout of the soil pipe system or does it include what I'm proposing which is just replacing what I got with another material but with exactly the same layout.

On the other hand am I worrying too much about this seeing as it is going to be completely boxed in with just the air vent visible sticking out of the roof.

Regards

Russell

RussellS said:
It doesn't seem very clear whether this kind of work needs reporting to the Building Control Department. The info I've found seems to say that any major changes to the soil stack needs to be reported
That's correct - the purpose is to give the LABC the opportunity to check that the drain and vent provisions are still adequate, because they take into the account the effect on neighbouring properties.

...but I don't know if the work I am undertaking constitutes a change.
It doesn't.

Does it mean changing the layout of the soil pipe system or does it include what I'm proposing which is just replacing what I got with another material but with exactly the same layout.
Examples of notifable work include, but are not limited to, changes in layout, addition of a WC, movement of a WC to another part of the house with additional branch.

On the other hand am I worrying too much about this seeing as it is going to be completely boxed in with just the air vent visible sticking out of the roof.
Whether or not it's boxed in you're worrying exactly the correct amount, and you're doing the job right.

Thanks for reassuring me on this Softus. The layout will be exactly the same so I won't worry about informing the LABC and I can concentrate now on actually doing the job.

Thanks once again

Russell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back