Connecting two water butts - the hard way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I've made a miscalculation and oversized the hole in the blue water butt pictured here:
IMG_20220110_133640548_MP.jpg

I'm really annoyed at myself for rushing this little job but I can't rewind.
As you can see the washer and thread sit neatly inside the hole I've made.

To add more complication and the reason I'm using copper fittings and not plastic is because there is almost no space and so the tanks have to sit right up against one another.

Here is a photo of the other tank:

IMG_20220110_134221816.jpg

IMG_20220110_134101613.jpg

As you can see everything is in 22mm size. The green tank actually has a thread built-in so up-sizing that is not really an option. I would get a reducer but that would require some 28mm pipe which I would need to buy. This 22mm section was bought on eBay to avoid having to buy a full 2 or 3 meter length. I was hoping to sort this job today.

Could I use a washer with an oversized flange ? Where would I get something like this? Can't see an obvious solution.
Again, I'm really annoyed at myself but can't rewind.
Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Will hard plastic be reliable? Keep in mind this is outside and exposed to temperature fluctuations

Will hard plastic be reliable? Keep in mind this is outside and exposed to temperature fluctuations

Why not, your barrels are plastic. I had in mind a similar hard plastic to the barrels, so it has some 'give' in it to conform the the curve of the barrels. Have you any left over plastic guttering material, or soffit material?

Sponsored Links
Ok worth a try. I'll see what I can salvage.

Another question : Is the washer supposed to go on the outside or inside of the tank?
You mentioned two bits of plastic. I'm assuming to go on BOTH sides?

Another question : Is the washer supposed to go on the outside or inside of the tank?

Probably better on the inside, but it may need two inside - One between brass face and plastic, second between plastic and barrel. A bit of old tyre inner tube cut to size might serve for the second one.

You mentioned two bits of plastic. I'm assuming to go on BOTH sides?

Yes, either side of the barrel.

Patch the hole inside with scrap plastic siliconed to the inside of the barrel using the disc you cut out to fill the hole. Plastic could be from another barrel, an ad-blue container, plastic fuel container, a 2L drinks bottle etc.

The drill another hole the right size in the right place. Don't try and fit the tank connector to the patch.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back