Connecting wires for thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'll be dropping my thermostat a few inches, but it's wired from above so I need to extend the wiring.

I have yellow, blue, and red as per the attached.

What's the safest way to extend them? Is it ok to just use normal insulated connecting blocks? Maybe via a chocbox?

Cheers
Matt

Attachments

• 20171218_182733.jpg
    20171218_182733.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
That looks like the stat is wired from a void behind a boarded wall. Turn OFF the power, undo the stat fixing screws and gently pull the stat and cable and see how much slack you can gain.

What's the safest way to extend them
The safest way is not to extend them, but to replace them with longer ones.

That may be impractical though... :whistle:

If you don't have enough slack, and do need to extend, bear in mind that screwed joints may not be made inaccessible, for example by being walled up. A Debox2 Screwless would be better than choc block and box.

That looks like the stat is wired from a void behind a boarded wall. Turn OFF the power, undo the stat fixing screws and gently pull the stat and cable and see how much slack you can gain.

Thanks for your reply mate - I did try the other day, but didn't feel like I could pull much and was worried about dislodging something. I'll have another go later as it could save me a right ballache; I need to drop it 5 or 6 inches ideally.

The safest way is not to extend them, but to replace them with longer ones.

That may be impractical though... :whistle:

If you don't have enough slack, and do need to extend, bear in mind that screwed joints may not be made inaccessible, for example by being walled up. A Debox2 Screwless would be better than choc block and box.

Noted, thank you! Hadn't seen those screwless boxes before - great idea mate.

I know a local spark; she's given me a good quote to do it for me but I'm trying to save money and learn things along the way. But I guess electrics is probably the one thing you want done right...! Though I've removed and fitted light fittings/fixtures, plug sockets, light switches etc - figured it's still just a few wires right?

Regarding not walling up any joins: there'll be a mirror over the hole the therm currently sits in - so if I do it myself, and I do go down this route, I might ensure the joins sit in that existing hole, and just pop a small square of plasterboard in the hole labelled "Thermostat wiring" or something (but not fill or sand the edges). Bit scruffy perhaps but again, it'll be behind a mirror.

Thanks for the advice gents - will see how I get on

ta
Matt

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the mirror has a frame, i.e. is anything other than a sheet of glass held flush to the wall, there would be room for a blanking plate over a back box in which you could use choc-block connectors if you already have those.

If the mirror has a frame, i.e. is anything other than a sheet of glass held flush to the wall, there would be room for a blanking plate over a back box in which you could use choc-block connectors if you already have those.

Yep! It's got a huge frame on it, and "blanking plate" is the term I was trying to think of above, but my brain went... well, blank. Much tidier solution for sure - thanks buddy.

Also, I don't agree with banning sheds. Where will I put my mower?

cheers
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back