Which cable should I buy to extend thermostat wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Going to be moving my therm down the wall about 8 inches but there's not enough free wire.

There are 3 wires so I assume I just extend via insulated block connectors?

Probably a stupid question but is there any particular wire I need in terms of gauge etc?

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
Yes there is special compensating cable but from what you say not required for what you are doing, normally in a house we use twin and earth or triple and earth cable for a standard room thermostat, they can be 230 volt or 24 volt or 12 volt even in some cases 5 volt. They normally take very little current although those used for under floor heating can carry up to 16 amp. So likely 1 mm² cable will do the job, they are normally mounted 1200 mm from ground level as they normally need to both be looked at to see what temperature is being set so should not be below 1200 mm and need you to control them using your hand so not above 1200 mm however my mothers is mounted a lot lower so she can see and operate it in a wheel chair.

You can get wireless models which can be placed on a table like a thermometer which makes the height a bit silly, but the point is we are only guessing so better to post a picture or give some more details like make or model.

Thanks mate - it's a "Drayton Digistat+" and it's 136cm (to the bottom of the housing) from the floor.

Coincidentally, where I'm aiming to relocate it would be approx 110-120cm from the floor.

Unsure if this changes anything but we're having the "Cosy" thermostat installed next week so I'll not be adjusting the existing therm itself.

When we had it in our last house the guy told us to leave it set to zero.

Does this change anything?

Appreciate your advice thanks buddy.

Matt

Attachments

• 20171022_195654.jpg
    20171022_195654.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 119
they are normally mounted 1200 mm from ground level as they normally need to both be looked at to see what temperature is being set so should not be below 1200 mm and need you to control them using your hand so not above 1200 mm however my mothers is mounted a lot lower so she can see and operate it in a wheel chair
Some manufacturers say 1200mm, some say 1500mm from FFL.

We fit ours generally at 1500 unless otherwise specified - particularly helpful when there’s wet UFH everywhere as the stat will stack nicely above a switch. Do it at 1200 and it has to go side by side, which obviously doesn’t always work

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate - it's a "Drayton Digistat+" and it's 136cm (to the bottom of the housing) from the floor.

Coincidentally, where I'm aiming to relocate it would be approx 110-120cm from the floor.

Unsure if this changes anything but we're having the "Cosy" thermostat installed next week so I'll not be adjusting the existing therm itself.

When we had it in our last house the guy told us to leave it set to zero.

Does this change anything?

Appreciate your advice thanks buddy.

Matt
I hate it when plumbers/electricians don’t talk on site and the stat ends up directly next to a rad. Genius

In that case your existing thermostat and the wiring for it should be disconnected and removed.

Oh that's good news then - I thought it would have to stay in place. Good job I didn't start bashing holes in the wall then!

And Iggifer, I did think it was a bit stupid that it's so close to the rad.

Cheers gents
Matt

I hate it when plumbers/electricians don’t talk on site and the stat ends up directly next to a rad. Genius
...or when it ends up in a room that has a TRV's on the radiator. Once I even found one in a hallway that didn't have a radiator in at all! The owner couldn't understand why the heating never switched off.

...or when it ends up in a room that has a TRV's on the radiator. Once I even found one in a hallway that didn't have a radiator in at all! The owner couldn't understand why the heating never switched off.

My last house had the therm in the hallway, which had no rad and was always like an ice box... I'm learning a lot with this thread!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back