Cable Wire equivalent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, could someone advise me on the correct wire to buy in the UK for the following problem:

I have an electric outboard engine that I am going to link to a 12v battery via a 50amp circuit breaker as recommended by the Owner's Manual. It says that if extending the outboard's cable to use "13mm (squared) wire (6-gauge wire AWG)". I will be extending the cable by 1m and have looked at a conversion table that says 6-gauge wire AWG is UK equivalent 4mm.

Is this correct and what sort of cable can I use, and lastly would the two coloured cables out of a reel of 10mm T&E left over from a previous job be suitable?
Thanks in advance for any advice given

Sponsored Links
You have your conversion wrong, 6 AWG is equivalent to 13mm^2, not 4. When people talk about "4mm cable", they (normally) mean 4mm^2 rather than 4mm diameter.

I think you would be better to double up the cable - ie use two pieces of red in parallel for the positive, and two pieces of black in parallel for the negative. That will get your 20mm^2 which should be more than adequate. it's not so much the current carrying capacity, but the volt drops - with only 12V to start with, any volt drops will have a significant impact on performance.

However, I assume this outboard will swivel for steering ? That means you'll be flexing the cable by a significant amount and very frequently. Your T&E rally is not suitable for that, it will work harden very quickly and eventually break.
You would be better getting some flexible cable - 16mm^2 or 25mm^2 welding cable shouldn't be too expensive since you're only needing a couple of meters.

No.

You have already answered your own question.

6 AWG = 13 square millimetres (cross-sectional area) how wire is clasified.
This is approximately 4mm. in diameter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone for the info supplied and for pointing out the mistakes in my post. I'm a lot happier as to what I need to do the job.
I recognise the problem pointed out with flexing the10mm cable I asked about, and should have given a better explanation of the cable arrangement. The new extension cables would be from a secure fixed position battery to the circuit breaker that would also be fixed to a bulkhead and immovable. I have allowed the outboard's original cable to have the same freedom to rotate as before when it only attached to the battery, so in effect I have swapped a fixed position battery for a fixed position circuit breaker.
Once again many thanks

In that case, if you have some 10mm T&E lying around, then that will do fine - preferably doubled up to give you 20mm^2.

Thanks Simonh2, that's what I'll do as I have plenty of that cable left, and I'll double it up as suggested.
Your help and that of everyone else is greatly appreciated, cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back