Specifying heat-resistant cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to establish what sort of single conductor cable to use to repair a relay fire inside one of these:

http://www.gledhill.net/water-storage/downloads/technical-manuals/electramatemain.pdf

It's a thermal store water heater. Gledhill are sending me new relays and holders but cannot supply leads to replace those with fire-damaged insulation. Their advice was to buy it from a merchant but could not give me a spec to ask for. The few merchants I have visited with a sample of the cable taken from the unit all say they don't sell it. Maybe somebody here can help me with a specification for it.

These are single-conductor leads with red insulation, and crimped connectors on each end. The cable sample I removed from the unit has loads of writing on it but its so shallowly embossed on it that it's impossible to read. So I can't positively identify it. It is multi-strand copper (55 strands to be precise), and appear to be precisely the same as a roll of cable I have here in stock which has "BS6231 Type CK 600/1000V 4.0mm squared heat resisting 90 V 12 AWG 600V AWM style 1015 105c VW-1" written on it. The reel also has "Appliance wiring material" marked on a label on it.

Will this cable I have here be a suitable and safe replacement? It's definitely the same size (4.00mm), I'm concerned that the insulation is right in particular.

Also, what about colour coding? If the cable I have here is the right stuff, is it 'ok' to use a colour other than red? I have yellow here in stock but no red, and I'd prefer to use it if possible for speed. The tenants have no hot water or heating while I sort this out.

All advice most welcome.

Cheers, Mike4

Sponsored Links
the BS6231 cable will be fine its rated to 105 celcius.it will never reach that temp in the control panel.if your concerned about the colour you can get some red heat resistant braid to cover the cable from R.S or maplins :) if only short tails i,d cover them with some red shrink tube.
hope it helps :)

ricka said:
the BS6231 cable will be fine its rated to 105 celcius.it will never reach that temp in the control panel.if your concerned about the colour you can get some red heat resistant braid to cover the cable from R.S or maplins :) if only short tails i,d cover them with some red shrink tube.
hope it helps :)

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply. Just what I wanted to hear!

I was only concerned about the colour because I am a CORGI bod not an electrician, and I didn't want to inadvertently contravene any rules about colour coding of conductors inside appliances of which I am not aware.

Cheers, Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back