10mm cable visual sizing help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone identify this cable for me, is it 6mm^2 or 10mm^2?

I've looked at various manufacturs websites and still cannot figure it out as it is in black and red and all the dimensions i can find are for the new colours.

Physical size is 17.5mm wide by about 8mm. There are 7 strands. There are markings on the sheath identifying it as Delta Enfield cable.. I have compared the conductor with a modern 1.5mm cable conductor and the conductor seems to be the same size if not slightly larger.

Sponsored Links
The earth wire consists of 7 strands, these are slightly smaller diameter than the live and neutrel

If it's metric cable, then the L & N (red and black) conductors should have 7 strands, each of 1.04mm diameter for 6mm ² and each of 1.35mm diameter for 10mm². For comparison, the (single) L & N conducor of 1.5mm² is 1.38 mm diameter and of 1.0mm² is 1.13 mm diameter.

If it's old imperial cable, it could be 7/0.036" (between 4 and 6 mm²), 7/0.044" (between 6 and 10mm²) or 7/0.052" (about 10mm²). The Ls and Ns of them have 7 strands each of 0.914, 1.118 and 1.321 mm diameter respectively.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
when did metric cable come in ?

I notice the green earth sleaving which dates it to the early 70's I reckon.

I would be surprised if it was 10mm2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back