Must I use immersion heater cable or will heat resistant cable suffice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the cables to my 3kw Immersion heaters. Toolstation sell two different heat resistant flex cable:
1) Pitacs 3 Core Heat Resistant Flex Cable (3093Y) 1.5mm2
• PVC insulated
• Resistant to 90°C
• BS6500

2) Pitacs Immersion Heater Cable (3183TQ) 1.5mm2
• Heat, oil resistant -20 to +85°C
• BSEN 50525-2-21

Can I use cable 1), or do I have to use cable 2)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I was going to quote B&Q but I see their search facility still doesn't work.
It works for me - but, although they do have suitable cable, they don't call it 'immersion' cable (and don';t even mention that use in their 'product details') - albeit £6.54 for 1 metre seems a bit steep! ...
1664204195780.png

Kind Regards, John

I was going to quote B&Q but I see their search facility still doesn't work.
It's utter crap.

Search for something and it pulls up everything you don't want.

Even when you use keywords, it's still a massive failure.

I have wondered for many years how they make money, considering their rubbish stock levels and awful search facility.

Or how much more money they could make if their stores and websites were efficient.

It's utter crap. .. Search for something and it pulls up everything you don't want. ... Even when you use keywords, it's still a massive failure.
It is a bit of a pain, particulrly until one has learned how to use it optimally, in that it's very much like many of the supermarket etc. sites (Tesco, Sainsbury etc.) - in that if one types in phrase consisting of more than one word, then IF it does not find any exact hits for the entire search phrase, it searches for the occurrence of each word separately, even if one puts the 'phrase' in quotes - so, if one searches for "immersion cable", with or without quotes, one gets about 1,700 hits, including every product with "cable" in its name! ... but if one searches for just "immersion", one gets only 7 hits (not include any cable).

However, that is only a problem IF it does not find any exact hits for the entire search phrase. If it does get exact hits for the entire phrase, then it only displays those 'entire phrase' hits. Hence if one types in "cable clip", one gets just 87 hits, all of which are, or are closely related to, cable clips, with not one of them being cable.

So, to some extent, one has to learn 'how to tame the beast'!

Kind Regards, John

3183TQ is a Butyl rubber sheathed cable.

3093Y is a PVC sheathed cable.

Both would be suitable for the load & the temperature. My personal preference would be the butyl sheathed cable

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes. Being an old-fashioned beast, I would use butyl too.
Probably because when I started, the HR flex was not as commonly available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back