Extending bell wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need to disconnect and extend an original hard wired doorbell and re site to the outside of a porch. It’s twin core and I was going to simply wire the two cables through a junction block and extend.
I purchased a reel of bell wire to use but noticed the core size is quite different to the old. The old cable I measured as 0.7mm as opposed to the 0.5mm purchased.
Is the simple extension through a block ok..? Assuming I’ll need the same size wire, yes?
Thanks in advance
Please Excuse my stupidity

Sponsored Links
I very much doubt it will make all that difference. How far are you wanting to extend it?

Using connector blocks for bell wire will work, but strip more than you need back and double the ends over as it's so thin you'll make a better connection that way

Thanks.
The extension is about 5m.
Can I assume right that I need to keep each wire separate extending each one in their own junction block, as the bell push ‘completes the circuit’..?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back