Connection to ball valve. Compression or tap connector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just changed the ball valve for the cold water tank in the loft. The existing valve was an apparently regular part2 valve but the plumber who connected it used a compression fitting onto the tail of the valve.

I was sure I'd previously seen tap connectors being used there instead?

The pressure is 3 bar and it isn't leaking but will this cause trouble in the future? Should I replace it with a tap connector?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for that!!

Does that mean you can use a tap connector wherever a compression is used and vice-versa? If not, when is one normally used in preference over the other?

If it's a brass connection e.g. ballvalve or taps then I would be ok with compression (take it you mean nut and olive). If It's plastic, maybe ballvalve to cistern, I would use tap connector.

Sponsored Links
You cannot fit a compression fitting onto a ball valve tail - it is threaded.
This may be a terminology thing. I think the OP means threaded FI connector, not compression.
Used to get it a lot with council storemen.

You cannot fit a compression fitting onto a ball valve tail - it is threaded.
This may be a terminology thing. I think the OP means threaded FI connector, not compression.
Used to get it a lot with council storemen.

What do you think a "Prestex" 43 is used for??

With some Ball valves it is also possible to insert the pipe into it and usea nut and olive.

Prestex 43 is a straight swivel tap connector, as is a Conex 303SF and a Kuterlite 626. Don't go there, I've been using those part numbers since you were in nappies (possibly). ;) YPS62, N62, 601TC et al.

This is the confusing, clear-as-mud bit:
the plumber who connected it used a compression fitting onto the tail of the valve.

I was sure I'd previously seen tap connectors being used there instead?
Instead?!?

If the float valve is 1/2", no connector required as 15mm copper will fit inside the spigot and capnut plus olive makes good connection.

Prestex 43 is a straight swivel tap connector, as is a Conex 303SF and a Kuterlite 626. Don't go there, I've been using those part numbers since you were in nappies (possibly). ;)

If you were born during WW2 then maybe!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back