Connections to Swimming pool pump

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing our swimming pool pump and I am a little confused with the electrical connections. It is a single phase 0.33 HP 230 v motor sold through a UK retailer but made in Spain.

The connection box has a choc-box connector with three terminals. On the pump side the connections are coloured black, white and blue. On the connection digram it states that for Heat Protector Switch On use live and neutral into terminals 1 and 2, and for Heat Protector Switch Off use terminals 2 and 3.

Is this just a choice I make, whether to have Heat Protection on or off, or mandatory depending on whether the motor has heat protection or not? I don't know whether the motor has a heat protection switch or not.

On the user connection side of terminals 1 and 2 there are two very thin insuated wires that go through the cable in port in the connection box where they are then cut off. What are these for? Are they a hint, or where the motor was tested, or what?

Sponsored Links
Can anyone help?

There are the two thin black wires coming from T1 and T2 that go nowhere

PICT2064 small.jpg

And this is the connection label. Do I just connect to T1 and T2 as in the l/h side diagram?

PICT2065 small.jpg

My guess is that
1) you definitely do want heat protection (thermal cutout) so use diagram on left.

2) spare unconnected wires are for monitoring or for a capacitor. But ignore these in your case.

Sfk

Thanks for that. I was planning to discard the two 'spare' wires. They couldn't be left live and exposed, and I can't see any use for them.

Sponsored Links
DO NOT CUT THE SPARE WIRES!

These will probably be thermistor wires and will be perfectly safe left as they are.
They do not have power going through them as they are for connection to a monitor.
If you cut them and have to return the motor for any reason you may possibly invalidate the warranty.

What spare wires?

Is that not the Mains connector?

The two wires are very thin, a few mm in diameter - with an even thinner copper core. They are not what anyone would use to connect an appliance to the mains. They are connected to the power in side of the choc-block's two end terminals, so if they were left in place they would be live. They go from the choc-block towards the inlet port on the connection box where they end as if they were cut off.

The two wires are very thin, a few mm in diameter - with an even thinner copper core. They are not what anyone would use to connect an appliance to the mains. They are connected to the power in side of the choc-block's two end terminals, so if they were left in place they would be live. They go from the choc-block towards the inlet port on the connection box where they end as if they were cut off.
Is it these 2 by yellow arrow and they are free ends near the red arrow which is a cable gland/clamp? If that's the case just remove them, They look adequate for a 1Amp pump but obviously I can't see the size of the copper.
upload_2020-6-15_23-26-5.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back