Connectors and fittings for water filter canister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 20" water filter, with two canisters, that apparently uses a 3/4" port. I visited two plumbing supplies shops yesterday and the "standard" BSP (or was it BST) 3/4" male thread does not fit, appears to be too large, but just.

The suppliers of the water filter in Germany say that this part is the right one : http://www.wiltec.de/naturewater-er...re=wiltec_english&___from_store=wiltec_german

Could someone please explain to me what is the correct part / type that I need? I would like to connect the filter to 22mm pipes or maybe 15mm if we cannot do 22mm.

Sponsored Links
I have measured the inside diameter of the female thread it is is around 23.70mm - 23.94mm.

What fitting is that would anyone know?

It looks as if you have a non-standard thread, in which case you are going to have a bit of a challenge to connect to standard UK fittings!

If the supplier can tell you the diameter/pitch of the thread or supply a converter from the internal thread to BSP (either male or female) then you're home and dry.

It might be worth trying BSP parallel and BSP taper fittings just on the off chance. Ask the supplier if the thread is DIN20 - German equivalent to 3/4 BSP

Hello, the supplier has just told me that the female threads are "european standard DIN ISO 228 it is similar to the BSP"

Looking up "DIN ISO 228" I have found it is also called BSPP.

I presume then that I need an adaptor from male BSPP 3/4" to, say, make 3/4" BSP so I can use standard compression fittings for 22mm pipes?

Sponsored Links
These fittings do not fit! Crazy. What did these Germans use it beats me.

However looking into "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe" it says:

These standard pipe threads are formally referred to by the following sequence of blocks:

• the words, Pipe thread,
  • the document number of the standard (e.g., ISO 7 or EN 10226)
  • the symbol for the pipe thread type:
    • G, external and internal parallel (ISO 228)
    • R, external taper (ISO 7)
    • Rp, internal parallel (ISO 7/1)
    • Rc, internal taper (ISO 7)
    • Rs, external parallel
  • the thread size
Threads are normally right-hand. For left-hand threads, the letters, LH, are appended.

Example: Pipe thread EN 10226 Rp 2½

The terminology for the use of G and R originated from Germany (G for gas, as it was originally designed for use on gas pipes; R for rohr, meaning pipe.)

ISO 228[edit]
The standard ISO 228 - Pipe threads where pressure-tight joints are not made on the threads consists of the following parts:

• ISO 228-1:2000 Dimensions, tolerances and designation
  • ISO 228-2:1987 Verification by means of limit gauges

Therefore I am looking for "G" - has anyone got any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back