Conservation Area Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wonder if I could ask some advice please.

Our house is modern (1970's) but forms part of a conservation area due to some ancient features within the plot.

We have carried out some works in the garden without applying to the council for permission, and now my neighbour is getting a little upset about the work, and is likely to inform the planning department.

The works involve outside steps, raised patio / terrace (more than 300mm above original GL), and retaining walls. The works have been carried out between 2 & 5 years ago.

Under normal planning acts, I understand that work carried out more than 4 years ago is except from action by the local authority. Do the same rules apply in a conservation area? It would seem sensible that the 4 year rule would not be applicable to protect heritage features, but i would like to know my rights before the planning department knock on the door.

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards

Alan

Sponsored Links
Yes. The 4-year rule applies. Only works to Listed Buildings are outside the scope of the 4-year rule. However, while the latitude of the 4-year rule remains, be advised that the latest amendments to the Act effectively put unauthorised work within a Conservation Area in the same ball-park as unauthorised work to Listed Buildings - i.e. a criminal as opposed to a civil matter - so don't so it again! (or, so I understand - I'm not actually sure that this has been tested)

Last edited:
Thanks Nakajo, I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back