Conservation Area Detached Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

We have had a detached garage built on our land for several years now. When we built it along with our new property on conservation land we included double glazed windows, double glazed rear entrance door, strong foundations, plumbing, electricity etc however at the time the planning authorities were very strict on making sure that the property would not be used as a residence.

Now that some considerable time has passed we are toying with the idea of converting it to a studio flat. Everything would all be internal work (adding kitchenette, bedroom and shower. A toilet has already been installed) except for filling in the garage door and replacing it with a single door and window.

To start with my son would be living in the property for a few years but we would then like to have the option of renting it out as part of our pension plan. As this building is on conservation land in Wales I am having trouble finding information on where we stand on this now. Any suggestions on where to read or general advice would be great.

Many thanks!

Marc

Sponsored Links
Were conditions placed on the garage regarding other use?

Your plan seems like the same thing that everybody wants to try - apply for one innocuous thing, with the intent of circumventing the planning system to achieve something else - and something that planners are well prepared to guard against.

Your council will have published all local planning policies, so you need to review their policy on development in conservation areas. And either apply for a variance of condition, or for a garage conversion.

As far as divergence from English planning law goes, right now (and as of 2008) it's a mess. I doubt anyone can confidently tell you which policies apply and whoch do not!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back