conservatory and damp proof course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone advise me on whats best to do.
We bought a house that has a conservatory which is brick at the bottom then upvc windows and plastic sheeted roof. Looking at the conservatory from the garden there is also a brick built 'flower bed' the full length of the conservatory attached to it. The soil in this 'flower bed' is above the damp proof course and we were advised by the surveyor to lower it to below the DPC. We started to remove the soil and have found an electric cable protected by copper piping, not sure what this is for as havent dug enough soil out yet and the damp proof black membrane is overhanging the brick work. Neighbours say the conservatory is at least 10 yrs old, there is no damp inside so is it necesary to lower the soil below the DPC. Lowering the soil will mean lowering the flower bed wall and lowering the electric cable and Im afraid Im going to create problems where there isnt any. Should I leave well alone?
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
why not empty the flower bed and put a sheet of polythene in it and fill it back up

better safe than sorry

you can also find out what this copper pipe does

:D Thanks for that, I never thought of doing that. Im totally clueless when it comes to anything DIY.
The flower bed is 18 foot long and about 3 foot high but it looks like theres a brick support half way along it. (one brick width between the conservatory wall and the flower bed wall).
May sound daft but would I just line the side with polythene against the conservatory wall and take it past the DPC to the level of the soil??

you can do what you wish with your conservatory, it was merely advice that you were given. it's up to you if you follow it up. conservatories are b.c. exempt.

i will say though, if the bricks are porous then a protective polythene barrier may be wise. i'm not a fan of raised beds but i can see their practicality.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, we will get some polythene to protect the consevatory wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back