Conservatory ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large glazed conservatory and wanted to batten, insulate and plasterboard the inside to create a ceiling.
Firstly is it safe to do so? l have seen companies offering this service as well as lots of videos on YouTube of people doing their own.
I am more than capable of doing it myself but l know there's a divided opinion with regards to weight, condensation etc.
If it is viable, should any kind of vapour barrier be put over the inside of the glass first before insulation?
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
The multifoil insulation stapled to the glazing bars and foil taped is your vapour barrier.

Yes super quilt, I fixed 50x25mm tile batten to the glazing bars then stapled the quilt to the battens, finished with plasterboard and skim...that gives a decent ventilation gap between the quilt and polycarbonate roof. Never had any problems.

Sponsored Links
Yes super quilt, I fixed 50x25mm tile batten to the glazing bars then stapled the quilt to the battens, finished with plasterboard and skim...that gives a decent ventilation gap between the quilt and polycarbonate roof. Never had any problems.
I have glass panels in my conservatory. Does this make a difference?
Have you had any issues at since you did it?

Never had any problems, there is vents in the existing ridge and eaves which creates an airflow between insulation and roof. It is cooler in summer and warmer in winter but still colder than the rest of the house.

Never had any problems, there is vents in the existing ridge and eaves which creates an airflow between insulation and roof. It is cooler in summer and warmer in winter but still colder than the rest of the house.
Was you ever concerned about the extra weight on the roof? As l say, mine is glazed so l'm a little bit concerned.

Glazing bars are stronger than you think, bearing in mind they are designed to support snow loadings.
There is very little weight in the multifoil and straps, the plasterboard weight is distributed over the full area of the roof.
No I had no concerns.

Depending on the glass, you may want to tint it first to help hide seeing foil from the outside.
I have done mine & now have a useable room. Used soffit board instead of plasterboard though, just to keep costs down!

Depending on the glass, you may want to tint it first to help hide seeing foil from the outside.
I have done mine & now have a useable room. Used soffit board instead of plasterboard though, just to keep costs down!
Yes, l was thinking of putting something over the glass first.
I thought of cladding but the missus doesn't want that. We want a clean white ceiling so will be plasterboarding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back