Conservatory door...I am stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lost key many moons ago; haven't been able to access back garden for many moons either. Got the handles off exposing the barrel. Have another barrel just with the "turn knob" so hoping to install that, but how do I get the old barrel out? Can I take the glass out and access the barrel that way? Any help would be greatly appeciated. I'd rather not fork out for a locksmith if it is something I can do myself.

Sponsored Links
Guessing you have a Euro lock barrel or similar, it's locked in place with a screw so door has to be open to replace.Do your hinges have removable pins, you may be able to open hinges side.

Smash it down with a hammer or get grips on it, it should break pretty easy. You will have the screw to get out once the barrell is out the easiest way will be to bend the screw down far enough to get your new euro in, just put the new euro in and open the door then take old screw out and fit new euro properly

cheers lads. i don't understand if i took the hinges off how it would help me. no to the glass then? couldn't i access the long screw securing the barrel in place if i took the glass out? al probably give it a sharp blow with hammer but the concern will be damage?

Sponsored Links
No it want damage the door, just give it one or 2 quick bangs

cheers lads. i don't understand if i took the hinges off how it would help me. no to the glass then? couldn't i access the long screw securing the barrel in place if i took the glass out? al probably give it a sharp blow with hammer but the concern will be damage?
With hinges off you can open from the hinge side and access lock pin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back