Conservatory dwarf wall/garden retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a conservatory its dwarf wall with a glass roof.
I bought the dwarf wall version as the external dwarf wall will be the retaining wall for the garden/lawn to go up against.

I currently have a patio thats 150mm below my house DPC then 3m away from the house i have a 9inch brick wall about 500mm height and the top of this is my garden. Its a very small Garden.

What id like is the external dwarf wall to act as the retaining wall as well.
Would you please tell me what i should have in place to prevent damp penetrating the inner wall of the conservatory.

damp proof membrane against the soil and face of the outer blockwork.

I was going to use 100mm concrete blocks for the outerwall until the level of the garden then use the same brick as the house to the 600mm dwarf wall finished height

Then paint the block with the likes of aquaseal

Then Celotex (75mm?)

Then concrete blocks again for the inner wall.

DPM against the inner wall batterned and plasterboarded.

Will i have gone overboard can you suggest the correct procedure.

Really would apreciate your help.

regards

p.s I have no issue with brick and block laying been doing off and on with my bricklaying dad for quite a few jobs and as its my house if its that bad someone can render it.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would avoid the retaining wall/conservatory wall combination because of the potential for damp problems due workmanship etc. It would be better if you had a narrow path around the conservatory and rebuild the existing retaining wall further back, if possible.

Appreciating you have mentioned it is a very small garden and you don't want to do that, then you need to consider introducing something like a french drain into your scheme as well as any tanking to the retaining wall/conservatory wall combination.

If you have an doorway in the conservatory just think how much easier it will be to do it with the resited retaining wall I mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back