Conservatory floating floor - Chipboard, OSB, or ply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of having a conservatory built. The floor slab is comprised of 100mm of polystyrene, damp proof membrane, and approx. 100mm of concrete. According to the guys constructing the conservatory the concrete is ready for me to install whatever flooring I'd like.

I want to have the conservatory floor level with the house floor, so there will be an extra 50mm of polystyrene on top of the concrete. I'm probably going to fit either an engineered wood floor or click together vinyl. The builder won't add any more concrete as that would bring the concrete above the house DPC.

What should I use between the top polystyrene layer and the wood/vinyl? Chipboard is cheap, but from what I've read might not last that long. Ply would be better, but is more expensive. OSB seems to fall somewhere between the two. It should go without saying that I'd use tongue and groove boards.

Finally, how long should I leave the concrete to cure before continuing with the floor? The guys building the conservatory think I should wait a few weeks, while everyone else (including this forum) suggests waiting somewhere around one month per inch of concrete so about four months in my case.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back