Conservatory floor construction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
It's been ages since I've been on here, nice to see it's still lively!
We are in the planning stages of a conservatory, and have been given differing opinions of which type of floor to go for.
The Double Glazing co. suggested a 'floating' floor construction using joists and insulation blocks and then boards on top (I guess because it's quicker for them...?), one builder suggested the full concrete screed method.
I am a complete novice when it comes to this, any suggestions/advice?
I can see advantages to both, the first seems more energy efficient as we are considering underfloor heating, and it seems to me a lot of heat would be lost into a concrete base.
On the flipside, concrete seems like the more solid option, but I just don't know!
FYI, the floor would need to be built up approximately 14-16" to bring it up to the level of the house, and we are on relatively flat ground.
Any experience/advice greatly appreciated!!:cool:

Sponsored Links
If you are having under floor heating, then you should go for an insulated concrete slab. This will not lose heat but retain it better than timber.
Plus timber floors can become creaky with regular on/off heating cycles

Apart from that the only real advantage for timber floors is for the builder in terms of ease and speed of construction. In contrast there are several disadvantages for the householder

Cheers Woody,
Any idea roughly how long it would take for the base to go off before building could start?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back