Conservatory Floor much lower than Kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Elderly Mother has just moved home, and is now living in a 1950's Bungalow with a Conservatory. The Conservatory is probably the original one, as it has just a single brick wall, and single glass windows. Internal measurements are approx 6 Ft x 10 Ft.

The Conservatory floor is approx 12 Inches below the Kitchen floor level, and has a couple of steps leading down to it. The floors in the Bungalow are all concrete. The Damp proof course is only just below the Kitchen floor level.

Unfortunately, my Mother cannot walk unaided, and uses a Tri-Walker to move about the Bungalow. Although she can manage very shallow steps, the ones leading to the Conservatory are quite steep, and are both at different raise levels.

As the Conservatory is about 6 Feet wide a ramp down would cut the Conservatory in half, and is unrealistic.

Would it be best to raise the conservatory floor, and to build a ramp outside of the door, down onto the patio? The Conservatory has enough headroom, and the door into the Garden is a sliding one. That door could also be reduced in height, as there is a step out of the Conservatory, which could be built over.

Alternatively, a ramp could be built along the remaining length of the Conservatory, from the Kitchen door. This together with a flat platform would be approx 7 feet 6 Inches long. But, ideally, another flat platform and step would be needed at the end of the ramp to allow access to the rest of the Conservatory. There would be a requirement to install a Safety rail along the length of the actual ramp, and everyone would have to use the ramp when going from the Kitchen to the Conservatory, and/or out into the garden.

We do not have the funds to purchase a new, and much larger Conservatory. Any suggestions regarding the difference in floor levels would be very welcome.

Thank you,
:confused:

Sponsored Links
If it were me I'd be looking at raising the conservatory floor and building a ramp outside. That way you retain use of the full area of the conservatory.

One way to do it would be to fix 6x2 timbers to the existing floor at 400mm centres, then another set at right angles to that, then chipboard flooring on top of that. You'd need to make sure it all was firm, and I think the space would need to be ventilated. That would be my first thought, but someone may have a better idea.

Cheers
Richard

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your reply re raising a conservatory floor.

I was thinking along those lines. I did wonder whether an inyernal dwarf wall should be built up to a height of 12 Inches, with just joists secured in hangers fastened to that wall. Of course, supporting brick pillars would then be needed at suitable points.

However, 2 sets of joists would be much easier to install. Can these structures just be built up from the floor if the outside joists butt up against the walls. Or should some sort of hanger/fixing be used as well? I presume that Noggins will be required, but at what intervals? How should theJoist framework be fastened together, and also how should the noggind be fastened in? And, Finally, should I install a chipboard floor, or use T & G flooring timbers.?
Although I have done a lot of DIY, I have never actually raised a floor level. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I would go for something like decking, but on metal support legs rather than dwarf walls or beams. This would also be easy to remove if wished to return the conservatory to original condition.

However please bear in mind the risk of falling through the conservatory glass, which is very unlikely to be safety glass.

Sponsored Links
HThanks for the reply re using legs as a support. Do you mean 'Metal Legs' or metal post supports with 4 x 4 inch post. What sort of intervals would you set these at? And, would you still use a 6 x 2 inch framework at the top of these legs/post, and then the flooring/decking etc?

Thanks again,
All advice is very welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back