Conservatory Floor Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'd be very grateful for any advice please - we have a relatively new conservatory, but several tiles are cracked and disjointed. On pulling up a couple to have a look we found that we have a very flat concrete floor, onto which had been laid a few sheets of the sort of foam packing Marks and Sparks wrap your glasses in (or at least to my untrained eye anyway!). The tiles themselves appeared to be sort of snap and join things (sorry, I know this is a terrible description so far) - basically wooden with vinyl laminate on top, which link together.

Whilst I'm game to have a go at doing it - I found all the bits I think I need in B and Q - I'm no dab hand and have asked for a few general quotes to have it done properly. To have a membrane put down and proper tiles laid (dimensions 15' x 8.5') I'm getting an average of £800-900 estimates. Does this seem like a reasonable price? Also, I'm not necessarily after ceramic tiles - if we can find a nice vinyl sort of thing that would be fine. Would that significantly reduce the cost?

I'm not sure if it's alright to ask here (apologies if not) but can anyone recommend someone who might be able to do the floor in the Solihull area?

Thanks very much for any advice you can offer!

Sponsored Links
what your describing is.. click laminite flooring..with underlay.

for floor tiling m2, price depends on what part of the country you live in,i would hazard a guess here at £25-£30 per m2..

as for laying a membrane(ditra), it may be an anhydrite screed you have,but a primer should do it..acrylic or epoxy based one for such a job.

as for materials i.e..primer/addy/grout/sealers..and tiles etc,i would stay away from the likes of b&q,wickes etc.

and visit a good tile retail shop for your needs.

for vinly..yes there are good ones out there kardean/altro etc..
best to get at least 3 quotes for tile fixing and vinly.

Vinyl floorings don't look right in conservatories in my opinion, for me it has to be carpet or tiles, preferrably natural stone such as travertine.

Nowadays you can pick up some very nice stone tiles for not much money, £30 per M2 in the local area will get you an opus pattern (mixed sizes laid in a random format) travertine with chipped edges, seen this laid an it looks stunning.

Vinyl just makes it look like you're cheap :)

You only have approx 12M2 of area to cover in your conservatory so you're looking at around £360 for the tiles (for example) and the adhesives, grout and sealer would cost approx £60, this in total is around £420. A good tiler would charge anything between £20 and £35 per m2 to lay it so let's take the average of around £27.50 per m2, this will set you back around £330. No membrane would be required, if it's relatively level you will just need to seal the floor with a bonding agent (pva).

In total £750 but obviously this depends if he is an adhesive snob and likes buying £30 bags of adhesives at your expence when there are better quality adhesives for half that price :rolleyes:

Just noticed this thread is about 5 months old but hey ho, it may help someone in the future :cool:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back