Conservatory gearbox/catch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Are these door gearbox/catches handed ?
My door opens outwards.
To shut the door i need to push the handle down,pull door towards me,then let the handle come up,door now shut.
I cant just pull the door shut.
Looking at this i can see that the door catch is at fault.
The part that sticks out which goes in / out when the handle is operated is around the wrong way.
Pulling the door shut allows the catch on the framework to hit the flat side of the catch as opposed to it riding over the rounded bit then allowing the door to be shut when pulled.
If the catch is turned over so the rounded part is now facing the correct direction the key hole would be at the top and not the bottom.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ok 3 ways of doing this

1/ The latch might have a screw in the centre of it, undo, pull latch of and turn around and tighten screw

2/ Latch might be spring loaded, try a pair of mole grips, clamp onto the top and bottom of the latch and pull out, if it comes then flip it over and release mole grips

3/ The awkward one and will involve removing the entire locking mech, remove handles/spindle/euro cylinder, unscrew all the self tapping screws up and down the lock strip but take note not to remove any machine screws normally situated above and below any hook gearboxes or centre gearbox, these hold the boxes onto the lock strip and can be a bit fiddly to put back on for a beginner, remove locking mech from door and look at the latch, you should see a cut out in the lock case to remove latch screws sideways, remove screws, remove latch, turn around and replace screws, then refit lock strip

Sponsored Links
I have undone the 2 screws down the Center of the catch.
Reversed it and now it's in the correct direction.
When I pull the door towards me it now rides up or over the catch correctly but the door isn't shut as I can still push the door open.
The catch on the frame is adjusted correctly as adjusting it the other way makes shutting the door impossible.
Is the 2 screws down the catch also an adjustment for how far the catch sits in or out etc ?
I think, but not sure that I need the catch to just sit a little more so when it rides over the frame part it then drops behind and door shut.
It seems as if it doesn't ride past all the way and not dropping behind if you know what I mean.

Sometimes the latch keep on the frame is adjustable, really depends on the hardware the manufacturer used at the time, if it is then there should be 2 tiny little pozi screws above and below the latch, loosen them only half a turn and slide the latch out and tighten the screws. Do not remove the screws as they are only about 6mm long and the little nut will fall off the back, half a turn should release the latch, the latch adjusts on little teeth (male and female) so its a bit of trial and error as to whether its in the right place, too far out and the door will rattle, too far in and the door won't latch.

Another cause of it not latching is if the door is set too far over to the hinge side and the latch appears not to be long enough to clip behind the keep, the door will need to be inched over a few mm using the sideways adjustment on the flag hinges

The door could also of dropped/settled and the latch is too low for the frame keep and won't clip behind, transfer some pencil marks over from the door onto the frame to see if the latch is lined up

Pencil marks line up fine.
I have unscrewed the 2 screws done the middle of the catch on the door.
This now allows the door to be pulled shut & stay shut.
I have noticed that by pushing the door with a little pressure it will open.
This should not be the case if the catch has passed the stay on the frame correct ?

So the door does click and latch?

It may be that you need to adjust the door over towards the lock side, if you have 'flag hinges' this is easily done with an allen key

The catch on the door now rides over the plate item on the frame.
Tomorrow in good light I will show a photo of the hinges that are fitted if you could advise.
This afternoon I shut the door as normal, a gust of wind then made the door swung open on its own.
Each time at the moment we shut the door we are pulling the handle up to be on the safe side but shouldn't need to, hence this post.

OK not exactly a flag hinge but a mila rebated butt hinge, but in any case put Allen key in those 2 holes and turn and watch the hinge move sideways

They only turn 180 degrees so you can't get in too much of a mess but yes try and equal them out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back