Conservatory: Guttering not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bought a house a couple of years back and have slowly been making progress with regards to the bigger issues and can now focus on the smaller things.

The conservatory that was built has guttering all the way around, but it doesn't appear to be angled properly and therefore water tends to 'sit' in it - other than a full on fix (which I suspect would involve installing another downpipe, but it would have to be on my neighbours side, and they might not care for it), I wondered if anyone had similar issues and had put together any intuitive DIY solutions? I was thinking that it would be possible to use a length of rubber hose with holes spaced along it to drain the sitting water - using basic suction to pull the water through.

In theory, I think it would work - but I'm aware it's fairly basic, and wondered if anyone had thoughts or alternatives?

Sponsored Links
Water doesn't travel uphill, irrespective of misinformed theories.

You have two options

a) re-align gutter to flow clear
b) introduce an outlet at the existing low point and route the outlet pipe onto your property.

There is no way to adjust fall on conservatory guttering as it clips straight to the integral ring beam.
As the frames and ring beam need to be level guttering is level too.

As long as the gutters are kept clean water will just sit until its deep enough to flow out, Nothing to worry about. Its why they use deep flow gutters on conservatory's.

Only problem is if its a very large roof and one outlet isn't enough. Assuming the gutters are not overflowing just keep them clear.

Thanks for the answer - apparently the way it the conservatory was originally put together (it's essentially a house extension that links two rooms) means that re-alignment isn't a quick and easy job - sounds about right for this house. Gazman posted as I typed this with the actual reason behind this as opposed to the hear'say that I used.

Similarly the way that the borders with the neighbours work unless I introduce an outlet at the far end and then have piping all the way back along the fence into my property (essentially under the existing guttering) then that won't work; so feasible, and an option, but not very pretty.

And suction can't make water travel upwards (or just sideways in this instance)? Gosh... all the time I've been bending the laws of physics when changing the water in the fish tank! I shall write to New Scientist immediately with my discovery. I wasn't suggesting that the system would work automatically, just as a way to clear sitting water which had accumulated.

The water just sits, doesn't overflow, so it's not a huge issue - just something I was pondering.

Sponsored Links
Re fish tank, you are talking about syphon action which a totally different ball game.

For a syphon to work the outlet must be lower than inlet, inlet must be completely submerged, line must be "air-tight" and line must be completely filled with fluid. Satisfy all of those and your gutters will be dry; no contravention of the laws of physics required.

Your suggestion of a perforated hose coupled to a wet vacuum cleaner will certainly work. You might need to plug the open end of the hose to prevent excessive air draw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back