Conservatory - heat pump and UFH, is it worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I been trying to do as much reading as possible before posting, apologies if I missed a similar post.

Groundworks for new conservatory will be starting in a few weeks for approx 16 m2 conservatory (lean to style off rear of house). I am sold on using heat pump in this space for heat/cold. I just had a couple of questions:-

1) What are recommended manufacturers for heat pump for such an application?

2) Is it worth the extra cost/hassle of also laying UFH? Only reason I can think is to take the chill of the tiles yet seems excessive to me as it wont be a room for living in.

3) My understanding is that even if I don't install UFH the new base still needs adequate insulation - min of 70mm?

Many thanks

Ant

Sponsored Links
1) try the plumbers forum, they will be more clued up.
2) I think the jury is still out, it's personal preference, myself i'm happy with radiators and comfy slippers and also the installation cost could be a factor.
3) absolutely, you'll need thermal insulation.

I think the general consensus is that it is fairly crazy to try to heat/cool a conservatory given the amount of glass-area that is required to meet the legal definition of this beast.

Buying a heat=pump just for that ..... Wow, unless your name is Abramovich.

1) try the plumbers forum, they will be more clued up.
2) I think the jury is still out, it's personal preference, myself i'm happy with radiators and comfy slippers and also the installation cost could be a factor.
3) absolutely, you'll need thermal insulation.

Thank you for the useful comments :)

Sponsored Links
I think the general consensus is that it is fairly crazy to try to heat/cool a conservatory given the amount of glass-area that is required to meet the legal definition of this beast.

Buying a heat=pump just for that ..... Wow, unless your name is Abramovich.

I agree, to try and heat it for normal every day constant living. Yet, if I want to use the room why is it so crazy to use a heat pump to heat and cool it? They are not that expensive these days and one the cheaper means to do so from my understanding.

Its Trump ;)

as a air conditioning engineer, i would definitely recommend heat pumps.

Its cheaper to run than elecrtic and gas, as you get a 3rd free energy from every KW put in as they are invertor driven.

I always mitsubishi or daikin. Dont get some crap from B&Q or overseas.
Go for a good make where warranties and spares are available.

I have one in my conservatory and it ticks over at 22 deg all the time. its set up on time clock to come on and off during the night.

Remember conservatories can be good spaces that end up un-usable.
To hot in summer and to cold in winter.

as a air conditioning engineer, i would definitely recommend heat pumps.

Its cheaper to run than elecrtic and gas, as you get a 3rd free energy from every KW put in as they are invertor driven.

I always mitsubishi or daikin. Dont get some crap from B&Q or overseas.
Go for a good make where warranties and spares are available.

I have one in my conservatory and it ticks over at 22 deg all the time. its set up on time clock to come on and off during the night.

Remember conservatories can be good spaces that end up un-usable.
To hot in summer and to cold in winter.

Thanks for the reply. I have done more reading and research the last few days and am 100% convinced this is the route to take with the conservatory now. :)

Rgds

Ant

have you had a quotation yet.

If its been built nows a good time to get pipework into the cavity wall. Its alot nicer than in trunking.

have you had a quotation yet.

If its been built nows a good time to get pipework into the cavity wall. Its alot nicer than in trunking.

No not yet I plan to sort this out next month or so.
Thanks for the tip, adding it later should be easy - famous last words !

[
quote]suggett1976 wrote

I always mitsubishi or daikin. Dont get some crap from B&Q [b]or overseas. [[/quote]
Interesting. Where exactly do they make these in the UK then ?

Perhaps I phrased that wrong.
There are a couple of uk companies who's air con is crap. Also there is imported systems all over eBay. These seem to be systems that nobody has ever heard of and spares won't be ready available. Also the airforce stuff from b&q is also crap.

The Japanese stuff is good. Hense I mentioned daikin and Mitsubishi.

Most uk installers will be installing daikin etc every day.

If you want a comparison quote when the time is right I'm more than happy.
We currently instal air con in all tk max stores

This is off thread and I apologise , although it may still be off interest to many.

Given the recent extensive cold in the UK, can any direct me to any figures that show COP when ground temp is 0 C or air temp is 0 C for air/air systems ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back