Worth installing Heat Pump?

Totally agree with everything you have said Flameport.
But if you look at the link I posted to the OPs plans its like leaving the freezer door open to cool your kitchen in the summer.
I just think heating a room with all of that heat loss is a bad idea open to the main living area heated by whatever means.
Is that how the conservatory company's get around building control now by calling them an orangery?:sneaky:
Just realised I posted a link to the image and not the post.
Electric or Wet Underfloor Heating? | DIYnot Forums

Sponsored Links
@MJN, @Master of None - thanks for your comments. I have attached a photo of our proposed orangery which will need to go through Building regs. It shows the amount of glazing we are looking at.

The reason why I am considering a dedicated heating source for the UFH on the orangery is to see if having a air source heat pump (ASHP) is a viable option. From the comments I have received so far, I think I will shy away from installing a dedicated ASHP primarily due to installation costs. I am not even sure if it would make sense to even have an ASHP just dedicated for the UFH in the orangery. If there is a possible option for a dedicated ASHP in the orangery (size is 24 sq metres), would anyone have an idea on what the cost would be?

My only other option I guess for UFH in the orangery is to (as I mentioned at the start of this thread) is to run new pipework (flow & return) from the cupboard where our Megaflow is located, into the orangery via a manifold. This would have its own zone, timer and temperature controls. We do not really want radiators in the orangery as I have heard that UFH gives uniform heat throughout the room and having a tiled floor, UFH will continue to keep the floor warm for a period of time even after the UFH has been turned off. Since the orangery will be a new build, having adequate floor insulation will help.

My one big concern is on heat loss due to the amount of glazing being proposed in the orangery. We do not really want to have double glazed dividing doors between the orangery and our existing lounge. If anyone has any suggestions on reducing the heat loss in the winter, this would be greatly received. From what I understand, building regs will stipulate the amount of U-value needed for the glazing, walls, etc, but I might be wrong :(

Attachments

• Orangery for forum.jpg
    Orangery for forum.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 49
My one big concern is on heat loss due to the amount of glazing being proposed in the orangery. We do not really want to have double glazed dividing doors between the orangery and our existing lounge. If anyone has any suggestions on reducing the heat loss in the winter, this would be greatly received. From what I understand, building regs will stipulate the amount of U-value needed for the glazing, walls, etc, but I might be wrong :(

Whilst building regs do mandate minimum performance criteria for individual components, they also impose maximum limits on the amount of glazing allowed (by virtue of the fact that even the best performing glazing performs in the order of five times worse than the most basic of modern walls) and you'll almost certainly be in breach of that limit with the proposed design. That's not to say it's not a viable proposition though, but what you will need to do is look at the entirety of the structure - and potentially the whole house - to offset the (relatively) poor performing glazing with improvements elsewhere such that the total heat loss is no greater than that which would be accepted were you staying within the glazing limits.

Do you have an architect supporting this project? If so, this will be bread and butter for them so they'll be able to produce some options. If not then you'll need to learn the subject yourself as building control will need satisfying that the regs are being met. For what it's worth we've recently built something similar, albeit with slightly less glazing (we've got a 4m wall of glass (sliding doors) where your main windows are and a 2.5m x 1.5m roof lantern with the rest being masonry walls) and it's all perfectly doable, and has been really worth it, so don't be put off by the challenge! It has transformed our house, and indeed our day-to-day family life.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back