Conservatory heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I just wanted to drop a line to you guys/gals to ask your thoughts on heating my conservatory.

I was poised to install 2 x 1250w Sunrise radiant heaters ( https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod132747 ) but then i stumbled across the following.....

http://www.elkaheating.com

Has anyone out there heard of these guys before and if so, could you let me know your expert opinion on the heaters that they sell please.

I would really appreciate some expert input.

Happy christmas to all of you guys.

Sean

Sponsored Links
electric heating is never as good as gas, I would consider having some radiators added to your existing central heating system.

thanks for your email dangermouse.

we did think along those lines initially but as our central heating system is an old Concord WRS boiler, we didnt want to add to the system and cause it to have to work harder, but also, the main reason was that we didnt want to have the whole system on just to heat the conservatory.

Hi I decided to fit the electric cabling underfloor heating in my conservatory.

Really heats the room up but NOT energy efficient, don't even consider it what with ever increasing fuel bills.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest an air to air heat pump... Available as a low wall/ convertible unit to fit on a dwarf wall, will warm the air in the conservatory very rapidly so you can on and off them as you need/ use the room and a lot more efficient than heating with an electric element as they scavenge heat from the outside air.. Size them right and you get air conditioning/ dehumidification for free...

I’ve got 3.8 kw of electric under floor & it works really well but it will bump up your electric bill considerable this time of year. The radiant units work well but my own investigations indicated a heat pump would probably be the best choice as Corgigrouch suggests; however, I have no personal experience as yet as we currently don’t use our cons. November through March. They are not much more heat efficient than the average greenhouse so whatever you chose, it’s not going to be cheap to run.

Be aware that if you install C/H radiators off the main system, Building Regulations require that the spur must be capable of isolation (from the main system) & independently controlled.

if its cold outside youll be talking around 30 to 40p an hour to try and keep the temperature up to perhaps 16 ot 17 degrees

perhaps you could consider installing a bigburner as these tend to produce unlimited hot air. even when not required. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back