Conservatory plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have underfloor heating throughout my property with thermostats in each room.

I intend to build a 5x4 or 6x4 conservatory (maybe an extension if persuaded on my building forum posting) and convert my detached garage into a playroom. See my post in building regarding this.

I find plumbing a nightmare but need to understand what is required before i apply for planning permission (i have no permitted rights). I will need to heat the conservatory and playroom. Is it possible this can be done by taking the hot water from the boiler to the radiators before it reaches one of the underfloor heating manifolds? If it can how could i thermostatically control the two rooms?

I think it may be too expensive (and possibly not needed) to install another manifold in either new room and use underfloor heating in the whole house. However if this is the best way to heat the conservatory in winter i would consider it.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
can you tell us what boiler you got and how many kw the system is
have you room on the manifold
if not get some one for a qoute

can you tell us what boiler you got and how many kw the system is
have you room on the manifold
if not get some one for a qoute

Hi

I have a Baxi Barcelona Boiler installed 2002. Not sure of the kw but the manual boiler says 33kw.
I have no room on the manifolds 5 loops downstairs / 3 loops upstairs. If i use UFH in both rooms i was going to T off the upstairs feed (easiest access to new build) and install a 3rd manifold with electrics etc and run 3 or 4 loops off that.
I have called a plumber.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The latest changes to Building Regulations no longer allow heating a conservatory from the main property heating system. To keep a cons Building Regs exempt, it must now have a completely separate, independently controlled heating system.

See here for more info;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=271969&highlight=[/QUOTE]

Hi Richard

Thanks for the advice. My father in law built a conservatory last August and the building inspector didn't mention this. He has two radiators in the conservatory.

Personally i don't think this is appropriate in my case. I have no permitted rights so when i make my application I could say it is an extension. Then i would be allowed to use the current heating system. Or am i missing something here. I am happy to have the conservatory building regs compliant

My father in law built a conservatory last August and the building inspector didn't mention this. He has two radiators in the conservatory.
Personally i don't think this is appropriate in my case. I have no permitted rights so when i make my application I could say it is an extension. Then i would be allowed to use the current heating system. Or am i missing something here. I am happy to have the conservatory building regs compliant
Weather or not you have any PD rights is irelavent & I think you may be confusing PP with BR requirements, the two are totally different & one is not dependant on the other. You may or may not need PP for an extension but it must comply with current BR’s. You may need PP for a cons but it will be BR exempt as long as you meet the criteria; but, by its very design, a cons can never, ever, ever be BR compliant. The fact that the BI on your FIL cons never said a word in August 2010 isn’t relevant as it was before the new Regs were introduced & if the rads had independent isolation & TRV’s then it would have complied then; but that was in in August 2010, prior to the introdution of current BR's in Oct 2010!

Any future survey will pick it up & it could cause problems with a potential sale.

FIL has just exchanged contracts. As far as I am the buyers solicitor wanted the FENSA paperwork / guarantee but has not questioned anything else.

Thanks for the clarification on BRegs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back