Underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, some advice needed please, I have air source central heating with radiators in each room, the installers left a couple tails as I was thinking of adding an extension. I'm now building a conservatory and want to put underfloor heating in. Question is can I just connect the pipe for the underfloor heating direct to the tails? Sounds logical to me, fit a thermostatic valve onto the pipe?
All advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly not. For starters, heating a conservatory using the same heat source as the rest of the house contravenes Part L of Building Regulations, due to the massive heat loss they suffer from. The large amount of additional heat loss could cause your ASHP to suffer from the usual inherent problems of an undersized ASHP as well, notably lower efficiency and using more electric. In short, if you want to use the ASHP to heat this area then the proposed conservatory needs to be a proper extension which is properly insulated to modern standards.

As for whether those tails can be used at all, it's impossible to say without knowing how they're connected into the rest of the system. It could potentially work but you'd still need some sort of dedicated pump set for it at the very least

Thanks Muggles, obviously I need to rethink that then, there's no I sulation in the rest of the house as it's a 200yr old stone cottage, no damp course etc . Would it be any different if I put an ordinary radiator in there? Of course the building regs still apply tho.

Surprised you have an ASHP at all in that case! Was your installer MCS Accredited?

A conservatory must have its own completely independent heat source not connected to the rear of the system, so you could have a second air-to-air ASHP just for the conservatory, or electric radiators, or a woodburner

Sponsored Links
Yes they are MCS accredited, they installed a smart rad in the living room and told us it would be completely silent, obviously it wasn't and they've now changed it for a huge radiator. .
Log burner it is then plus an electric rad.
Thanks for the replies, not what I wanted to hear but saved me wasting money, always a good thing lol.

Conservatory under floor would work but needs to be in its own circuit with its own pump set and blending valve and bypass. Just be careful in depth if winter as it might cause the air unit to struggle.

Thanks, can't really go to that sort of expense. How about electric underfloor heating, is that feasible?

Thanks, can't really go to that sort of expense. How about electric underfloor heating, is that feasible?

Not really. It's only meant to take the chill off the floor, not as a primary means to heat a space.
You'd be better off looking at air con that can heat in the winter and cool in the summer.

Not really. It's only meant to take the chill off the floor, not as a primary means to heat a space.
You'd be better off looking at air con that can heat in the winter and cool in the summer.
Thanks, I'll Google that, something else i know nothing about lol.

Ok air con looks doable. No idea on running costs and unsure on but needed. It's going to measure 3mtr x 4mmtr 2.6mtr high, glass on 2 sides, stud wall insulated on one and stone wall to the house on the 4th side with a glass roof. Would 18000 but be sufficient?
Through wall or freestanding? I'm assuming freestanding is noisier and would therefore drive my missus even further up the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back