Conservatory Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post so be gentle.

I have a 5x4 conservatory that I'm considering putting a radiator in. Few things I need advce on.

My boiler is rated at 11.7KW and the existing radiators in the house output 9KW. This leaves 2.7KW, however, I haven't included an allowance for hot water heating or losses in the pipework.
My estimate of the heating requirement for the conservatory is 4-5KW based on a rule of thumb of 200x floor area and an online calculator.

1. Would fitting a 1.5KW radiator spurred off an existing rad overload the boiler?
2. From experience would a 1.5KW rad be worthwhile. The maths suggests not.

I have a 2.5KW oil filled radiator that manages to heat the room.

Sponsored Links
If you need 4-5KW then you need 4-5KW, simple as that. It won't overload your boiler as such but you'll find it's firing for much longer as the extra rad will draw heat away from the existing system. At worst, it might mean that your entire house is permanently chilly. Depending on your system, your hot water may heat independently of your heating, in which case that won't give you too many problems.

on top of what has already been stated, a conservatory is better heated by using fan coils, as heat rises and straight out of your plastic or glass roof.... a correctly sized heat pump would be a far better bet as it will heat the room when you wish to use it in a matter of minutes..

If you have a 2.5Kw oil heater that heats the room then clearly a 2.5kw water radiator would suffice.

Seems obvious but there you go.

As suggested earlier, a fan convector radiator is the best solution here, see www.smiths-env.com for suitable models. You will need up to 2.5Kw.

Sponsored Links
in general to heat a conservatory to around 21 degrees will virtualy double your gas consumprion when the outside temperature is around 0 degrees because off heat losses meaning as soon as you turn the boiler off the room becomes cold within minuits :cry: :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back