Conservatory ridge cap sliding forward

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a conservatory with a 'gable style', similar to the one in the image attached. I have found that over a few months, the ridge cap creeps forward away from the house wall. This means the end cap and finials also slide forward and leave the aluminium ridge exposed next to the wall.

I've had a look at the ridge internally and can't see a point at which the ridge cap secures to the aluminium ridge. I can only assume it works on friction but obviously, whether through wind or expansion/contraction, it's moving forward and I need to get the ladders out and hammer it back towards the house!

I believe the conservatory is Profile22 but is around 20 odd years old.

Any clue appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240430-135250.png
    Screenshot_20240430-135250.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
Sponsored Links
Looks like a K2 roof but could be global, in any case this happens with friction and the gable end having some degree of whip to it, what I usually do as a service engineer is put a self drilling screw through the edge of the ridge cap into one of the rafter caps and put a white screw cover over it

Thanks crank, that's not actually my conservatory, just an example of style. I have just taken a quick pic of mine. If I've u understood you correctly, are you suggesting that I placed a self drilling screw where I've highlighted in red? Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20240430_161157961~5.jpg
    IMG_20240430_161157961~5.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 12
Sponsored Links
Ah ok, thanks! Next question, any idea how a DIY'er would get up there? I'm not too keen of taking the poly sheet out as the glazing bars might be brittle after all this time. Would they take my weight if I mocked up some kind of wooden load spreader? Or perhaps I could put the screws into the one that butts up against the house wall by hanging out the bedroom window?

Cheers crank. I'll see what I can reach... At 6ft 4in that's a bit of a stretch for me lol. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back